Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so I have a 89 DX. I also have a broken down 91 LX parts car that has cruise. I want to put cruise in my DX since its my DD. I already swapped the stick switch (on the column). All the plugs hooked up correctly there and I even got intermittent wipers now...BONUS! I found the main switch on the dash is different so Im going to find one of those for the 89. I also hooked up the vacuum actuator thing under the hood. The plug to that hooked up fine, and I ran the vacuum hose to the correct spot and ran the throttle cable in and hooked it up. Now I know I still need to hook up the clutch and brake switches, as well as hook in the main switch, but outside of that....am I missing anything? I looked at the diagram and it has something about a cruise control unit.....is this some computer deal under the dash that I need? Also, is there anything else that I may need to make this work correctly?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide....Im slowly going to fix this DX up as it has served me well for 4 years...and its time I show it some love in return!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
YEs, there is a computer under the dash that you need.
and you must connect the cltuch and break switches..
I think that is about it...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a difference in that computer between the 89s to the 91s or can I use the computer from my 91 parts car?
Also...where under the dash is this computer thing at....If I can get a general idea of where it is and maybe what it looks like, I could find it.
Also....is there anything else I may be missing that anyone knows of?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
88-89 use a different cpu than the 90-92.

BUT...

if you are using all the electrical bits from the 91.. and assuming the plugs line up..

The good thing, apparently, the 1genB (90-92) has a better cruise control than the 1genA... and 1genB only needs clutch interrupt switch, not neutral and clutch switches... The 1genB doesn't looks the cruise setting, or over rev if you shift gears. You can be driving along, hit the clutch, change gears, let the clutch back in, and cruise remains engaged, and it will speed back up to previous speed. 1genB CC does a better job of going up and down hills.

Are you using the 91 steering switch?
the Steering Column multi-function switch is different between 1genA and 1genB...

if you use the 1genB steering column swithc, you also need the dash switch.
The 1genA doesn't have the dash switch...
1genB dash switch turns CC on or off. on the 1genA the on/off switch is at the end of the steering colum stalk... .. so the wiring is a bit different for that switch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, well I may not be as well off as I thought then.
I took the column switch from my 91 and put it in the 89. All the plugs plugged together correctly, I guess I never did check to see if the wires lined up correctly, but I know now that I have intermittent wipers which I didn't have before! There was one plug unused that came from the dash. It wasn't used with the old switch I pulled out...it just hung there. The 91 doesn't even have this plug....is that supposed to plug into something for the 89 cruise control switch?
Maybe I can't use the column switch from the 91 on my 89?

I tried to plug the dash switch from the 91 into the 89 but the plugs are different. But I figured if I got a 88-89 main switch and that computer thing, i'd be alright. Maybe I need to find everything from an 89, including the column switch?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
i can officially say there is a dash switch in the 89, its just different than the 90-92 if i remember right.

Ah, okay. so then, what does the button on the multi-function steering column switch do?

I swapped the steering column multi-switch from an LX to my DX, on my old '89, and it had the orange button on the end... just to get the intermittant wipers on my old DX.

I thought that was for turning on/off the cruise control, and as such didn't need the dash switch (which make more sense than having a dash switch + stalk switch) ergo, it must do somethign else..

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
ah, okay, see I figured that it would be the same as 1genB, must not be.
1genB has two way momentary switch: down is set speed/coast, up is resume/accelerate.
1genB dash switch is on/off.

Neutral Safety switch (aka Clutch switch) acts like a momentary pause on the CC.
Brake light switch disables CC, but does not turn it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts