Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I need to establish a relationship with a mechanic to look after my baby.

As the more perceptive of you can tell, because I used the words "establish a relationship", I must be a female, and I would like to dela with a mechanic who is professional enough to not try and patronise me or rip me off because of my gender.

So, my question: Who do you take your cars to?

I've got to get some work done on her soon, and I'd rather go to someone that is familiar with the car already and knows where to look for common problems.

I'm not adverse to taking my car places to get it fixed - having the right mechanic is more important to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I haven't managed to find anywhere I really trust to be honest. Unless its something outside the scope of my abilities to fix..

I used to take mine to paradise motors mazda on lower n/e road, but by god they're expensive. They do seem to know what they're talking about though.

Apart from that, sorry, no not much experience.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you could try RPM www.rpmperformancecentre.com.au
I'm not sure if they do mx6's or not though they mainly focus on japanese imports... but as these cars are semi imports it's worth a shot. Talk to Ivan down there he is the most straight up bloke you will ever meet, he actually talked me out of buying things. He will just tell ya the truth. I would trust anyone else with my car thats for sure.

Hope it helps, Also you could try Jarret Nissan and Mazda in bridgewater they did some work on my 6 and were fantastic, good prices too. They know mx6's pretty well and have at least 10 of them on there regular service books

Good luck

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good Adelaide Mechanic?

Me..........:D :D :D .

Depends what you need done.

RPM....... pft... only if you want to pay a premium (no offence to RPM but they are a performance shop if you get my drift).

Ps Guys........ I'mmmm Baaack. For the moment anyway. Mark graciously and modestly accepts all the plaudits from those who eagerly awaited this moment..... Translation I'm sure at least one of you were curious as to my whereabouts for the last month... and the others were no doubt glad.

SOMEONE BUY MY DAMN CAR OR AT LEAST THE ZE!!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
i have taken my car to australian motors mazda at edwardstown.
they did my timing belt -$330, and a service $190
they are good and some lady rings you up a few days after for customer feedback and to see if your satisfied.
i have always baught parts off them they are very helpfull.
i can guarantee if you take it somewhere else they most prob wont know what there doing, and will rob you blind!
mazda are expensive but its worth the extra money

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I’m just so glad I do all my repairs my self.. because like these guys are saying not many people out there speak fluent MX6..
What sort of things are you having done to your car.. I’m a firm believer that a girl can do any thing a man can (besides the obvious) ..
I’m sure we can help you do it your self , or with the aid of an other set of more mechanically minded hands.. (I.E. any mechanic, if you tell them what needs to be done and how to do it..).
Oh. And welcome to the “club”.. :tup:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far - it's really good to see people speaking highly of the work being done by the Mazda shops.. surprising! I have no qualms whatsoever about paying a fair price for good work (mechanics have to work as hard at their trades as anyone else), and I think it's important to have someone working on your car who enjoys doing it. A big part of that is being paid fairly to do that.

Jase - *grin* most things are outside of my scope of abilities to fix :D I am more technically minded than mechanically minded. Just don't have the time these days..

MXTCY - Interesting! Jarret's is about 10 minutes up the road from me, and I had been thinking about them. Mind you, it's been a number of weeks since I first e-mailed them about some parts info.. maybe they're more mechanically minded than technically minded ;)

KCV6 - Are you in the business? It's going to need work on the cooling system for a start. It's not a big problem (yet, touch wood) but I can already feel a sucking at my bank account.. I like to belive that it can't be as bad as the prices we pay for the bloody Falcon. You coming on the cruise?

grumtax - That sounds very promising, too! They sound like they've got their act together, which is important too.

Thanks again for the pointers, folks - keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
what is up with the cooling system ? is it allowing the car to get 2 hot, or is it actually leaking?..

·
Registered
282 Posts
No I'm not in the business, however I have always maintained and built up my own cars.

I don't know with the cruise, because as always I will no doubt be somewhere else, pick a state, pick a country.

Hey if Wes reads this, I'll be in Brissy again on Wednesday. I would like to catch up with you and Brad sometime.

Buy my car, buy my car, buy my car'

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. MX6 wrote:
what is up with the cooling system ? is it allowing the car to get 2 hot, or is it actually leaking?..
It's a leak, for sure. Relatively slow.

General service and cooling system's the start, to give me the pointers towards what I need to look at next. Probably the aux systems belt (if the NRMA guy knew what he was talking about, and I think he did), debugging the sunroof (opens great, closes most of the way then jams when it feels like it), led brake light in the rear spoiler and the aerial (hoping that's not rocket science).

Some of these will probably be simple fixes. Hell, the previous owner went without the main interior light because he didn't realise it had one, and that its bulb was blown!

I can see there are some -very- knowledgeable people here, who've already pointed me in the right direction for my boot struts, given me some thoughts about the diagnostics systems and what problems I can expect.

My other half is the mechanic of the family, but I try not to let him drive often }) bwaahahaha!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
obviously if you can see where the coolant is leaking I can be more specific/helpful but in general..

have you replaced your radiator cap .. you will get one from an automotive shop.. there are 2 caps .. only the one @ the front of the motor on the little black tank will be needing replaced.. when they get old they let the coolant seep out ..

have you tried one of those stop leak additives some of them are quite good now-a-days..
you just whack it in the tank…

get your self a bottle of radiator flush from a car shop (like super cheep) and whack it in.. then on the bottom of the radiator side tanks there is a tap just open it and let the coolant drain out (careful will be hot, DUH!) … then refill with a good quality coolant.. (not tap water ) again something you can get from super cheep.. then the sealant..

Is it all of the LEDs or just some .

If it is all it may actually just be unplugged .. if you follow the wire that leaves the boot lid it goes to a plug & socket on the right next to the speaker.. Make sure it is plugged all the way in..

If it is some you can open/remove the lens and check/fix/replace as required..
There are some screws holding the break lens in to the spoiler.. But to get them out you will need a stumpy (short) screw driver, alternatively you can remove the spoiler (just some 10 mm nuts in the boot) and flip it over..

have you tried a silicone spray into the track of the sun roof?

does the aerial just humm and no action ?.. if so you can just get a replacement element from Mazda instead of replacing the
complete unit..

and the belt is a no brainer .. Just remember undo the nut on the front of the tensioner pulley before you try to loosen/tighten it …

cheers. .

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. MX6 said:
obviously if you can see where the coolant is leaking I can be more specific/helpful but in general..
Quoth NRMA guy: "coolant leakage around timing cover area"

1. have you replaced your radiator cap .. you will get one from an automotive shop.. there are 2 caps .. only the one @ the front of the motor on the little black tank will be needing replaced.. when they get old they let the coolant seep out ..
Got a good look at that cap the other day (had to use it.. for some reason, the reservoir filling method wasn't putting coolant into the system, without understanding more about how the reservoir works just had to go for the other cap on the cool engine) - don't think the out is there.. but it's probably worth doing anyways :)

2. have you tried one of those stop leak additives some of them are quite good now-a-days..
you just whack it in the tank…

get your self a bottle of radiator flush from a car shop (like super cheep) and whack it in.. then on the bottom of the radiator side tanks there is a tap just open it and let the coolant drain out (careful will be hot, DUH!) … then refill with a good quality coolant.. (not tap water ) again something you can get from super cheep.. then the sealant..
*grin* you know, I would never ever ever use tap water - not even in my '68 MGB.. and that probably came out the factory in Britain saying, "use only tap water with a slice of lemon, cheers!"

I always feel dubious about those sorts of things.. if there's some kind of corrosion or more serious problem at work, I want to know about it (given I've only had the car for a while).

Is it all of the LEDs or just some .

If it is all it may actually just be unplugged .. if you follow the wire that leaves the boot lid it goes to a plug & socket on the right next to the speaker.. Make sure it is plugged all the way in..
The whole thing. That was my hunch, too - the previous owner had all the plastic panels resprayed, including the boot. He didn't know it was faulty. My gut says it's been that way since he got it back from the shop, and the wiring in the boot looks like it needs tidying up.

I was planning on running a multimeter over it, giving it a bit of a test to see whether or not the power's coming to the socket and then checking the remainder.

have you tried a silicone spray into the track of the sun roof?
Well, I was going to look for detritus in the track first.. it's odd, because it opens perfectly, and closes most of the way then kinda gets stuck on the last little bit. It's not consistent, either, it seems. I figured cleaning and lubricant as the first bet.

does the aerial just humm and no action ?.. if so you can just get a replacement element from Mazda instead of replacing the complete unit..
The motor's happening, but no movement (apart from the first 2 cm). Makes a helluva racket and scares the bejeezus out of me if I forget :)

and the belt is a no brainer .. Just remember undo the nut on the front of the tensioner pulley before you try to loosen/tighten it …
Sounds achievable - hmm.. now all I need is the Gregory's!

Thanks for the pointers.. again :) I'll get used to saying that!

·
Registered
282 Posts
9 out of 10 times, coolant from the timing cover area means a leaking seal on water pump shaft. Only fix is to replace the water pump. This job sucks big time and should not be left for to long. Best to do the timing belt and accessory belts at the same time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you live 10 minutes from jappet's then you live 10 minutes from me. They are great down there, just go in and have a chat they will help you out big time.

With your LED in your spoiler i actually have a brand new wing with the LED, the LED is still in the box brand new hasn't even been opened. So if ya want a new one pretty cheap let me know and ill hook ya up with it as i sure as hell don't need it anymore.

They re did my cooling system there and it worke perfect after

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KCV6 wrote:
9 out of 10 times, coolant from the timing cover area means a leaking seal on water pump shaft. Only fix is to replace the water pump. This job sucks big time and should not be left for to long. Best to do the timing belt and accessory belts at the same time.
That would make sense.. thanks for the tip. Yes, I do plan to get it looked at sooner (1-2 weeks, given I don't drive every day) rather than later.

I'm planning to take the NRMA report with me to the workshop as a starting point, which also lists an estimates of repairs for everything (except the really tricky jobs - one of which I think, reading some of the other posts about CATs, may well be the CAT). May as well use it, since I paid for it!

I keep saying the "it's a 10 year old car" mantra, and I always expect the first visit to the mechanic on a used car to be the worst.

MXTCY wrote:
If you live 10 minutes from jappet's then you live 10 minutes from me. They are great down there, just go in and have a chat they will help you out big time.
Actually I have classes in Bridgewater tonight (if you go that way, look for the '6 parked next to the Bridgewater Hall on Bridgewater Road after about 5:45pm.. and don't laugh when you find out what I teach), so if I can get an early minute from work I might pay them a visit.

I'll keep the LED in mind if it turns out to be faulty..

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts