Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a I4 2.0 Engine.

My idle run at 600+ rpm. It is fine if I didn't turn on my A/C or headlight. But during night, it would kill the engine easily.

I try to follow HAYNES repair manual (it only show probe V6 picture), and try to turn few circle on the screw. But it seem doesn't affect the idle speed at all. Any one have any idea ? ( Does the ECU control the idle speed ? )

I will be glad if anyone can show me how to adjust the idle speed, with pictures. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
When following the Haynes manual, did you jumper the two pins together to tell the computer that you were adjusting the idle speed? Otherwise it is going to try to and compensate for you changing it.

If your idle speed is 600 with everything off, that's probably okay. The ECU is supposed to compensate for increased load (alternator, power steering pump, and particularly a separate circuit that raises idle speed when the A/C compressor clutch has power). I would suspect checking the circuit from the A/C clutch.

Tyson

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't jumper the two pins. Maybe that's the reason why I can't adjust it :)

I will try it later on. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, it doesn't work :(
I ground the connection, do the adjustment but it seem no effect to the idle speed.
Do I need to connect to tachometer? I don't have one so I don't borther it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
600 is fine... it actually should be 700.

G

·
Had a similar thing on mine. When I turned the idling screw, it didn't do anything. A friend of mine told me to clean the intake throttle body with some carb cleaner. Some oil comes throught the breather pipe and can cause a dirty intake.

Removed the airbox cover and sprayed it good with some carb cleaner. Also sprayed into the idling screw slot, to clean out any dirt there. Put everything back together, and started the car. The car idled at about almost 2000. Adjust the idling screw and it came down perfectly, untill the idling mode was engaged.

It can't hurt to keep the inlet clean. Don't know if it will solve your problem, but worth a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts