Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I was driving home through a thick patch of fog and noticed that my headlight beams are angled in the direction of the sky. Strangely enough, the owners’ manual doesn’t say how to adjust the headlight beams. I opened up the hood looking for some sort of headlight adjustment screws over the plastic housing, but couldn’t find any.

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights in order to angle the beams downwards?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Lightrida said:
The other night I was driving home through a thick patch of fog and noticed that my headlight beams are angled in the direction of the sky. Strangely enough, the owners’ manual doesn’t say how to adjust the headlight beams. I opened up the hood looking for some sort of headlight adjustment screws over the plastic housing, but couldn’t find any.

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights in order to angle the beams downwards?

Thanks.
The Haynes manual has a procedure for adjustment, but for the sake of oncoming traffic have a properly equipped shop do it.

Ever noticed the three little plastic nipples on the lights? They are there to guide alignment. Again, pay a shop to do it.
-Garrett

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can understand the importance of making sure that on-coming traffic is not impaired by a hideous beam pattern. This is probably why Mazda doesn’t have these instructions in the manual; cause’ they don’t want us playing around with this. But is it that delicate a procedure that I couldn’t play around with the adjusting screws until the beams were levelled more appropriately? The reason I ask is because, the instructions for headlight adjustments are actually contained in the owners manual for many other manufacturers like Honda and GM. In fact, on most Hondas, there are actually two markings on the adjustments gauges (one for the horizontal adjustment, and the other for the vertical adjustment). And it is a piece of cake to do. But on our sixes, I can’t quite figure out how to align it. I may indeed, have to take it in to the dealership…again. :(

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Lightrida said:
I may indeed, have to take it in to the dealership…again.
Yup. I realize the Honda and some GM do give instructions, but I'm glad Mazda doesn't. :tdown: to poorly adjusted headlights.

Spend 2 seconds searching google for "aligning headlights" and you will come up with numerous schemes for taping up a wall and setting the beams. Needless to say, going to a shop that has a laser guided alignment machine is a much better plan.
-Garrett

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
laser guided alignment machine huh?

wow... i use a Bosch unit, kinda cool... and easy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use my garage door - the grid works well. Then I have my friend tell me if my lights are shining in his eyes. Or...if you don't have a friend, pull up behind another car and see how high your lights are. On an average car your beam shouldn't go above the top of the trunk. Not very precise I suppose, but it's workin great for me.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Stage36 said:
laser guided alignment machine huh?

wow... i use a Bosch unit, kinda cool... and easy.
:)

I simply mentioned the laser guided machine because I saw it advertised for sale the other day, and thought it was cool.
-Garrett

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ive used laser guided alignment machines to align suspension

kinda excessive for headlights, yeah? how much was it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Theres an adjustment screw in the front. You see it as a thick screw leading from the headlight back to the frame. If you tighten the screw, it pulls it closer to the frame, causing it to go inward and up.

My question is, my driver-side headlight is either WAY too low and shines RIGHT in front of the car, or is way too far right. My passenger side headlight is either WAY too high, or is also WAY too far right. They can never be positioned perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts