Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned this technique years ago, but I thought I might post it here just in case some people haven't tried it out. What I do is first adjust the rear view mirror inside to frame the back window. Then I adjust the side mirrors so that the inner edge of the mirrors can just see what is visible on the outer edge of the inside mirror.

That way, as a car is passing you, you will first see it in the inside mirror, and as it leaves the mirror's field of view, it can be seen entering the side mirror's field of view. You basically get a continuous view of cars going by. It's like having one big mirror, but it's in 3 sections with a continuous view.

Here's another way to explain it in these articles:

http://www.securitydriver.com/aic/stories/article-101.html
http://www.racingschools.com/tips/mirror.shtml

This is the technique that race car drivers use on the track. They don't shoulder check if their mirrors are adjusted properly. I actually learned this method at a BMW test driving course. Before, I used to set the side mirrors to see the side of the car which you really don't need to see and creates redundant areas in the mirrors.

I still shoulder check when I'm driving in a 3 lane or wider road. There is still somewhat of a blindspot when both drivers are in the far opposite lanes I find. When you are both changing into the centre lane, you really have to be careful still.

With the 2nd gen side mirrors, I find there's a much larger field of view as compared to a 2000 626's smaller side mirrors. Even with adjusting the side mirrors as mentioned, I find the field of view quite a bit limited as compared to my old MX-6.

Try this technique out if you haven't already, and see what you think of it. Just be careful getting used to it at first since it's weird not being able to see the side of the car!

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
thanks HHBL.. great write up.. Karma for you..

I like the "quote" you have right below your Avitar...

I didn't know what the heck you were talking about when I first read it.. but now I get it..

Honestly.. its just the tires.. I know they're too big for the rims.. but its not THAT bad.

seriously... I'll bring it by sometime since I know you want to see it.

The car can really off-road though.. the tires have this gnarlly grip... and it can really climb! I went up a steep hill with it.. that only a few pick-ups can do.. everybody was amazed.. I reached this "summit" like look-out with it.. thats the first time I've ever done that with an MX6.. sure feels great being able to drive around and not have to worry about damaging the body kit (90% of the time... being the front nose piece)

Its a great car.. and thanks for the sale.. I have yet to go through those Brochures.. I can't believe you still had them.. those are collectors items. I'm surprised that the
"Nasseau blue metallic" wasn't listed in the color options for 1993.. since there are lots of 1993 MX6's with that color.. like Mel_CP6's car for instance.

Anyway.. talk to you soon in the western Canada forums.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That mirror technique actually works really well with the nice size of mirrors on the 2nd gen MX-6's. For simple two lane road lane changes, you can really tell what is beside you without shoulder checking once you get used to it. I still shoulder check to make sure things are clear though since I'm kinda paranoid.

If you read that last post on page two of the Canada Western Forum meet thread "One Last Meet...", I kinda explain my shock when you mentioned the "oversized" tires. :D Offroad? Steep hill? Wha? What? Arghhhhhhh!!!!! I'm picturing:

LOL sigh... I'm just kidding. Have fun with it, and -gulp- I hope those tires keep you and my old baby safe. I've managed to avoid any serious body damage all these winters on regular all seasons so hopefully my luck will continue in the car for you. AND I NEVER OFF ROADED IN THAT CAR!!!! Ahem, sorry, I had to let that off my chest.

Actually, Nassau Blue was offered in May of 1993. I didn't notice it wasn't listed in that brochure. I think maybe it was a late option that was available after the brochure was printed. A guy bought that blue colour LS at the same time I was buying my green one. And by the way, light pool table felt green wouldn't look good on an MX-6 - trust me. :eek: But hey! It's your baby now, so go with what you like. Just please don't tell me any more about it.... you're killing me here. :(

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I was like i adjust my mirrors is this (and it's never failed me once):

the dirver's side i have follow right down the body line of the car, making sure it's just barely not showing the car at all. this allows you to see everything that is in the lane directly to the left of you.

the rear-view mirror i have adjusted so if you had three passengers back there, you'd only see the very left side of the middle one and the one on the passenger side. this covers your blind spot generally caused by the passenger-side c pillar, b/c you can still see out the rear passenger side window, but primarily, this covers the lane directly behind you.

the passenger side mirror is pushed farthest out as it possibly can be. since the rear-view mirror is now covering the part of the blindspot usually behind the c-pillar, having this one pushed all the way on the outside will cover the rest of the blind spot area and the lane to the right of you.

this setup isn't perfect, but it allows you to see every place you car every edge of your car is going to be when you're going to change lanes, and to me that's all that really matters. i'd much rather have the area of a car that's 10 feet in front of it in a blind spot that the car itself in my blind spot. :tup:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeppers, at the BMW test drive I went to, the instructors told us to place our hands at 9 and 3 and basically lock our thumbs around the points there. If you watch the guys in the video here:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146150

they use the 9 and 3 positions. Also, they don't rest their right hand on the shifter and drive with one hand. :urg: I had that bad habit of shifting and leaving my hand on the shifter while going around some turns.

Has anyone tried the modified mirror adjustments? Does it help? For my 626, the mirrors are so small I find there are still blindspots especially at night even with my mirrors correctly adjusted. I'm going to have to play around with the settings a bit more...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thats exactly how I have my mirrors set up. My side view mirrors can just barely see the road, and are adjusted so that they are viewing about a good few inches away from the side of the car. Hard to explain, but it works

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
SKarpenz said:
i seriously entertained the idea for awhile...i could see me having alot of fun with one
I had one on my talon!!! IT was fun for winter sliding, but just got in the way most of the time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I used to hook my thumbs over the spots at 9 and 3 above the horn buttons. I guess those "bumps" on the inner aspect of the steering wheel at 10 and 2 are for people who like to drive "old skool." :muhaha:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
HHBL said:

I used to hook my thumbs over the spots at 9 and 3 above the horn buttons. I guess those "bumps" on the inner aspect of the steering wheel at 10 and 2 are for people who like to drive "old skool." :muhaha:
Those two humps at the 9 and two were meant to keep your hands at the 9 and 3 position. If someone is using them to rest thier hands above than they clearly need to look at the steering wheel a bit more. The perforated leather is where you are supposed to grip, notice how it ends at the 10 and 2?

Even the horn was designed so that when your hand is at the 9 and 3 all you need to do is slip your thumb half an incho to activate them.

The only gripe I have about the steering wheel is where the cruise controls are placed, I wish they are on a stalk like Toyota's which I can keep my hand at the 9 and 3 all the time.

Mirrors really are due to driver's preference as i doubt anyone (including) me will benefit from "racing car mirror techniques." The main fallacy in that technique is the fact that most "race cars" do not have rear view mirrors at all, hence the side mirrors are deisgned to cover the entire rear view area. The curvature of the stock side mirrors does not facilitate what you hope to accomplish....mainly because one side is convex and the other is not. By aligning them to "cover" your rear view mirror you are creating a distortion in depth perception created by the different magnifications of the side mirrors. The only way to disrupt that is to have the inner edge of the mirror slightly showing the edge of the rear fender to gauge distance and depth.

I drove in a 911 GT3 that was setup as you stated above but it had a wide view rear mirror (watch any in cockpit video with a mirror, them babies are like 12 inches wide) and both the side mirrors were the same magnifications.

Hope that rant is coherent. :angel:

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Very coherent rant...
I guess the size of one's hand has a bearing on the 9-3 position and reaching the cruise controls. Its not too uncomfortable to do...but yes, you do have to reach a bit.
I was testing the 10-2 vs 9-3 position yesterday after reading this post..and the 9-3 works pretty well...sitting below the 'indents'....felt --different-- sorta 'enclosed' by the 'indents' ..but comfortable enough..!.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
...I also was checking the mirror 'set-up' as originally posted..and really, if you set your review mirror to fill the area looking out the rear window, that, in conjunction with the relatively 'wide' 2G mx6 mirrors... there is no blind spot.
Those side view mirrors, if set properly, ("....The only way to disrupt that is to have the inner edge of the mirror slightly showing the edge of the rear fender to gauge distance and depth.") ...
This set-up gives you a full view of what is coming up along side you, - on either side...until such time that a passing car is either next to you...or passing you.
Just my observation, fwiw.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts