Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking.. What could be the implications of increasing the timing on a N/A engine? I know that I would have to use 93 octane to prevent pinging/detonation. I wonder if the car would even feel any faster. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no idea... but I'd love to know too. C'mon, someone has to know.

·
Registered
379 Posts
"Timming?"

Groundskeeper Willie: "Ye've got... the Shinning."

Bart: "You mean _Shining_."

Willie: "HUSH! D'you want us to get sued??"

(as John Cleese) This annoying post has been created to irritate you and generally make your browsing experience less enjoyable.

:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had been using 12 BTDC with 92 octane before I had my wreck. I didn't drive the car enough to find any implications, only drove 150 with that timing. And honestly, I think it wasn't too noticeable, but it has been almost two months.

Something to note:

929s with their 3.0L use 15BTDC on 92 octane. I don't know if you can just compare engines like that though.

[Edited by hurddawg on 05-24-2001 at 10:35 PM]

G

·
timing advance?

i ahve the fe3 dohc with fully programmable aftremarket ecu i recently added more advance on full throttle as of the 4000rpm range 35 degrees to be exact up from 30 degrees and let me tell you i have noticed a very significant amount of power increase and it still runs on standard unleaded petrol once it hits 4000rpm it pulls like a train these fe3 dohc engines respond excellant to aftermarket programmable ecu i recently dragged a 89 mx6 turbo and we ran side by side with me edging very so slightly in front boy was i amazed ! just advancing base timing should not gain much other than pinging at low revs thats my thinking anyway .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What car do you have? 2nd gen 4cyl? Even with a chip I would find it hard to belive that you would be pulling on a 1st gen turbo since the 1st get N/A is faster then the second gen 4cyl. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
His 626 is a j-spec/e-spec first gen. Instead of a turbo, the GT versions got a 2.0L DOHC 16v four with a compression ratio of like 9.8 (some came with AWD). The engines I think produced about 148HP. So beating a turbo GT is feasible.

G

·
Several years ago, I let my little brother use my 6 while I was out to sea for six months (Navy....Westpac). After I got back I tuned the car and found that my base timing was at 12 BTDC and that the plugs were showing signs of being too hot. He told me that the plugs only had 3-4k miles on them. He told me years later that he had advanced the timing in order to gain more power at higher rpms, which he claims he achieved. But I noticed no difference in performance after resetting the base timing back to 6 BTDC but much better plug life. At 12 BTDC there was no knocking or pinging.....I've always used 92/93 octane.

There is an adjustment for the vacuum line leading to the distributer advance, I've never messed with it (one of those factory adjusments), but in theory you could increase the amount of vacuum to the advance mechanism resulting in a proportionate degree of advance rather than an all out shift in timing. Don't no what else would result from this adjustment since the vacuum line tees off to the other side of the throttle body. It would probably chang the idle speed in the same manner the idle speed adjustment does.

I think however that the distributor would eventually reach a point where it would advance no further which if I remember correctly is about 38 degrees of advancement (in addition to base timing) at 4500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
hurddawg said:
His 626 is a j-spec/e-spec first gen. Instead of a turbo, the GT versions got a 2.0L DOHC 16v four with a compression ratio of like 9.8 (some came with AWD). The engines I think produced about 148HP. So beating a turbo GT is feasible.
170hp actually, and it does it with none of that V-tec bullshit either. Those engines are phatty.

·
Registered
449 Posts
agreed :)

how's that new turbo?

are you using the 6 casing and a 7's cartridge ? or is it a custom 7 turbo?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes... I forgot. I was thinking of using a head from a Kia sportage when I had to replace my old head. I didn't do it for fear what it wouldn't work out right.. :) Besides, the cams must be different. That thing sounded like shit and was slow as hell.

G

·
what is my car?

well i think i should clear afew points.
the car i drive is a 1985 mazda 626 rebagded as a ford telstar it is same as a 626 except rear tail lights ,bonnet fenders and headlghts.it originally had the pathetic sohc carburetted 2.0 engine in it.natrually i wanted more power so i looked at putting the turbo engine from the same model but the power gain was not worth the conversion,then one day i saw an ad for the 2.0 dohc fe engine did some research i found that it was a strait bolt in except for the top engine mount . an aftermarket ecu is allways more better than putting in a chip visit this site an australian aftermarket ecu company www.enginemanagementsystem.com
the fe dohc engine currently is totaly stock except for exhaust mods and ecu the mx6 i ran was stock bar some vdo instruments on the bonnet. the kia engine is nothing like the mazda unit diferrent cams for more bottom end torque . im currntly thinking of turbocharging the fe3 my engines cr is 10:1 the kia engine is 9:2:1 so i think i will use the pistons from the kia to lower the cr i ahve a toyota ct26 turbo hiflowed does anyone know if that turbo is suitable for me sorry about the long post!! i will soon have my website up so you all can see my ford mazda .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts