Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a FE3T and am not happy with the power I am currently getting. It has a fair bit of work inside and out and at 19 psi I am only getting 250hp at the wheels on an australian dyno.

Personally I think it should be more looking at what I have read from some of the guys in the states saying that they can get 400hp easy.

So I am asking anyone with a FE3T to please give me some advice! Like what you did with your VICS system, whether you took it out, or what. What has been done to your head, ANY ADVICE WHAT SO EVER!

Thank you
Rhys Hutcheson.

G

·
What size turbo, how much fuel are you running, which stand alone did you use?

We need engine details to help you make power.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, I don't know how much power I'm gonna have when I'm done, but I have SDS, 650cc injectors, .60/.63 T3 turbo, stock head except for the valve keepers, venolia forged pistons at 8.5:1, seal power rings, going with Clevite bearings, and a 6-puck ACT b/c I threw the springs on my street disc within 2 months of having the FE3T (yeah, I know you hate that FlySwat, but it's so much easier than FE DOHC Turbo, hehe).
I know FallGuy has his mods in his sig, so just find a topic with his post in it and read his sig.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hey

I saw ya run at Jamboree 2003.. those 1/4 mile times weren't to flash.. surely you know what modifications fallguy has done to his FE-DOHC TURBO.. What's different from your set up to fallguys?? Is your turbo, fuel, exhaust & cooling system similar??
Is your engine rebuilt with similar compression with pistons 8.5:1 etc.
What ignition system are you using.. coil packs etc??

To make horsepower: you may want2 consider;
-Spark.....coil packs,plugs,leads,distributor,computer etc
-Fuel......big internal and external pumps, malpassi,injectors
-Air....cooling,restrictions(zorst,ic piping),leaks,boost pressure
-Compression...pistons,rings etc
-Timing... computer tuning,timing belt position etc

Which one of these variables is not right or haven't got enough of or too much of etc???
It's the process of elimination.. look at every variable.

When i saw it run down the track it seemed to me that it was running retarded..

hope that helps..

Rob

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have enough fuel (550cc, 500hp fuel pump, surge tank, malpassi) and have microtech. have forged pistons, cooler, T03/04 turbo, exhaust, air filter, coil packs, and the other usual stuff. Just the thing is that I heard that you can EASILY make 400hp out of these motors according to someone from the states. Now the only thing I can do to the motor is have the head ported and polished and maybe a bigger turbo, but I would prefer not to if I dont have to.

So I am hoping some people that have big HP FEs can give me a hand! I am sick of having a slow car!!

As for jamboree, that was my fault. I didnt have the car for very long and was still getting used to the locker. Kept bogging down every time I would launch, I only had it at the drags once before jamboree so I am putting it down to that!

so is there anyone on here with a high HP FE??

thank you for your help so far.

Rhys Hutcheson.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Me and 88MX6GT have very similar setups, only difference between mine and the others is that My head has been deck and I'm running oversized valves.
As for your power issues, makes sure that the timing is correct, you may need to pull the timing belt cover to make sure. Also it may just need some tuning. Please post what all you currently have done.
evo

·
Registered
261 Posts
What size turbo do you have? There are many different t3/t4 turbo's out there. When I made 343whp it was on a t3/t4 60 trim with a t3 76 hot side and .63 a/r turbine housing. That was on 20psi...I'm sure 375 or so would be max with that turbo. With my t3/t4 60-1 cold, t350 76 trim (stage 5) hot, .63 a/r turbine housing I made 401whp on 23psi of boost. The only thing done to motor is pistons with a 8.5:1 ratio. I did remove the VICS...I like it without...easier to tune vs with in. I have done nothing with head other than vr6 springs and keepers. I did gasket match the exhaust manifold side. I run 750cc injectors and SDS standalone. Other guys with the 60-1 have made around the 400whp mark. Around 350 or so is good for the 60 trim...If you go with a pt61 turbo that one is with same boost around 23 has made around 430. Be careful though with the revs...the rods can't take 8k + rpm's without bending. Keep revs around 7500 and it will be fine.

The secret is turbo. Big turbo...big power....but will have more lag. My 60-1 is just barely tolerable on the street. I will be adding a 75 nitrous shot for spoolup this next year. Pea shooter turbo will yield poor hp results.

You guys with fe3's but no hp numbers??? How are you tuning your cars? Butt dyno? Very risky.....but it's your car.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
evo626 said:
Me and 88MX6GT have very similar setups, only difference between mine and the others is that My head has been deck and I'm running oversized valves.
As for your power issues, makes sure that the timing is correct, you may need to pull the timing belt cover to make sure. Also it may just need some tuning. Please post what all you currently have done.
evo
Evo, what hp numbers are you going for? That t-bird turbo is a pea shooter. :confused:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My tbird has a .63hot and .60 on the cold side. I would be happy with 350whp. In the future I'll upgrade to something bigger. I think 350 is perfectly atanable considering my mods. With my head being decked it will raise the compersion points a little. But having over sized valves will help to. By the time my engine is installed and everything my firends shop will have a dyno to tune it on.
evo

·
Registered
261 Posts
evo626 said:
My tbird has a .63hot and .60 on the cold side. I would be happy with 350whp. In the future I'll upgrade to something bigger. I think 350 is perfectly atanable considering my mods. With my head being decked it will raise the compersion points a little. But having over sized valves will help to. By the time my engine is installed and everything my firends shop will have a dyno to tune it on.
evo
350whp will be hard for the t-bird turbo I would think. I made 343whp at 20psi with a t3/t4 60trim....60a/r compressor housing with a 60trim compressor wheel with a .63 a/r garret housing with a t3 76 trim turbine wheel. That turbo is quite a bit bigger than a t-bird turbo. I tuned my car to a 11:8-12:1 a/f ratio. You have your work cut out for you....I would shoot for 250whp to 300whp with that turbo if your lucky.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't have any hp #'s as of yet b/c my car and FE3 are under construction. My oil pump failed quite a while ago and I have been doing a lot. I had a stock IHI on it up until now, and I just got the t-bird .60/.63 last week. I am still in the process of rebuilding my motor, and I got a free FMIC, check my sig for specs on it (I can't remember off the top of my head). All this will be going on for now. I need it to be reliable for a while, so I am shooting for the 325whp mark. Not sure if I will make it, may be more like 300whp, but that will have to suffice for now. In the future I will be going with all forged rods and pistons, and a complete head job, bigger turbo (possibly a T76 or so), and some nitrous. I still have a lot of thinking to do as far as which road to take with the car, but for right now this is my plan.
When my car is done for now I am going to dyno tune it of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
theoretically

a 60trim T3 Garrett will flow 340cfm, in a perfect world 340cfm=340HP, efficiency losses in the intake and exhaust plumbing and losses due to heat will probably bring this down to about 275-300 HP.

nothing wrong with 300 HP :)

Neil

G

·
Re: theoretically

neil85ae86 said:
a 60trim T3 Garrett will flow 340cfm, in a perfect world 340cfm=340HP, efficiency losses in the intake and exhaust plumbing and losses due to heat will probably bring this down to about 275-300 HP.

nothing wrong with 300 HP :)

Neil
So if I bolted a 800cfm monster to my toro lawnmower I'd have a 800hp lawn mower?

Sorry, but there are so many other factors (That still exist in this "perfect" world of yours) that decide final HP and TQ values.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Re: Re: theoretically

FlySwat said:
So if I bolted a 800cfm monster to my toro lawnmower I'd have a 800hp lawn mower?

Sorry, but there are so many other factors (That still exist in this "perfect" world of yours) that decide final HP and TQ values.
I don't think that is what he meant. He means that a 800cfm turbo under the 'correct conditions' will allow for 800hp. He didn't say that putting it on a bike will give you 800hp....

'Correct Conditions' - Those conditions in which maximum flow can be achieved.

Tripharn

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you guys are pretty much saying my turbo is too small? I would have thought that the head might need porting as it was originally a NA design motor, not designed to run 20psi through it. Is this correct? I want to do a little more work to the car before I sell it, maybe just nos but not sure.

Anyone know what I would pay in AUS$ for a turbo that would get me over 300whp?? I have 250hp now. For all the work that has been done to the car, I dont think it is anywhere near what it should have! I will look into turbos.

Thanks.
Rhys Hutcheson.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts