Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2G GT 1996 2.5 KLDE

Hi ive got an oil filter clamp/wranch thing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRAP-OIL-FILTER-REMOVER-car-or-van-ford-or-vauxhall_W0QQitemZ310106704928QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item310106704928&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

looks like the one in the link

it was fine for changing my 4.0 jeep filter, but the mazda filter i got from mazda is too small for the wranch.

How do you remove yours?

Any tips?

Do they tend to be really tight or not too bad

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
drive a big screwdrver through it with a hammer and turn

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
get a pair of gloves with rubber on the palm and fingers for grip, or just rubber gloves, grab it and turn and when you put it back on, make sure you only hand tighten it dont use any kind og wrench or anything to put it back on because if you over tighten it it will be almost impossible to get it off next time

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just bought one of those plastic cup things you put on your ratchet for like $2
but ya you prob could get it off with rubber gloves, they come off fairly easy....

·
Registered
23 Posts
the best thing i use to remove oil filters are oil filter vise grip they work every time or just buy the fram filter with the black grip on it, always easy to remove.... way to go FRAM

·
Registered
329 Posts
just get a big channel lock plier and squeeze it on and turn, it'll crush the filter a bit but you're replacing it anyway so that doesn't matter

·
Registered
717 Posts
drive a big screwdrver through it with a hammer and turn
x2. If you aren't keeping the filter, this works like dirty ass money in the bank. :tup:

·
No one told me about this
1,426 Posts
If using bare hands i spray brake cleaner on the filter to clear it off and makes nice a dry(alittle spray on your hand helps too)

Or i use a sheet of low grit sand paper and twist.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i always change mine with no trouble with my bare hands. no treatment required.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Length of seatbelt or similar cloth and loop it around the filter and rap it around a big ass spanner

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always do it with my hands and a shop rag. I wouldn't recommend driving a screwdriver through it with a hammer...i've seen stupid people drive the screwdriver up so high that they end up hitting the threads of the bar, winding up stripping it making it impossible to put another filter on.

you would think that if people did this, they'd do it close to the BOTTOM of the filter. not half an inch from the top of it :eek: :tdown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts