Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Worth buying a 94-97 mx-6 in Australia, 2020? Or better off finding an older skyline or miata? Thoughts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Are you looking for a racecar? Or a daily driver?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking for a racecar? Or a daily driver?
Daily driver. However I don't drive much as I ride a bicycle mostly, so 1-3 times a week. Looking for a car with a little style, and one that can be worked on a little.
Some other questions I have;
are parts expensive for the mx-6?
How much engine work can you do on them? I've heard both the engine bay is quite small and restrictive with modifications, but also that it can be modified.
Thanks mate

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Assuming you're talking 2.5l v6 kl, there's minor bolt ons you can do, to pull a couple extra horses out.of it but short of forced induction and a standalone or something crazy you're unlikely to break 200whp. That said they're super fun to drive and handle really well. Especially if you get a bigger rear sway bar and drop the car a little bit. Poly bushing help stiffen the car up as well but you're gonna be hard pressed to find anywhere near the aftermarket following of the other cars you missed. In my experience these are cheap to maintain and fix in stock form. The caveat being the distributor which used aftermarket ones are hit and miss, and it's likely one of the more common failures aside from a valve tick and the timing belt tensioner. Either way its sub $300usd to replace the distributor which isnt terrible in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming you're talking 2.5l v6 kl, there's minor bolt ons you can do, to pull a couple extra horses out.of it but short of forced induction and a standalone or something crazy you're unlikely to break 200whp. That said they're super fun to drive and handle really well. Especially if you get a bigger rear sway bar and drop the car a little bit. Poly bushing help stiffen the car up as well but you're gonna be hard pressed to find anywhere near the aftermarket following of the other cars you missed. In my experience these are cheap to maintain and fix in stock form. The caveat being the distributor which used aftermarket ones are hit and miss, and it's likely one of the more common failures aside from a valve tick and the timing belt tensioner. Either way its sub $300usd to replace the distributor which isnt terrible in my opinion.
Cheers mate, really helpful. I'm not too fussed about the actual power of the car, I just want to mod it to be proud that I've made this car the way it is. I mostly like this car for its base design and the needs I have for it. That being said, would any car be a better investment in your opinion?
Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts