Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few months I will be looking to get a new car, I have looked at Supras, Skylines, 200sx and so on and so on. I have decided that I would like to get another 2nd Gen. Obviously the prices between a Supra and a 2nd Gen arn't close to comparable, but with the money I will save picking up a 2nd gen can be spent on doing some serious work to the engine. I will be looking explore some mods that perhaps australian mx6 scene hasn't seen befor. I will deffinetly be looking into some type of forced induction weither its turbo or super charged, not to mention a variety of other bits and peices.

I came to this conclusion because unlike alot of other performance vehicles, MX6's are still few and far between on the roads. And two, this engine deserves far more credit than the australian car enthusiasts and import scenes give it.

My new job has opened up alot of doors for me that perhaps a few of you can't get access to or can't get access to for any reasonable price. This is why I also plan to documentate just about everything I do and put it up on the net. A friend of mine AJ (aka Snowball), has done alot of homework on this already but has decided to sell his MX6 (in my opinion one of the nicest Mx6's in Australia) due to personal reasons.

I will spend the next couple of months doing some more research, however if any of you 2nd genners feel you might be having to sell your car in a few months time I could be seriously interested. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
I for one will be very interested, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd be keen to see how you go! I was looking at supercharging mine but don't have deep pockets.
Get lots of photos and definitely document everything, hope it works out well!

·
Registered
886 Posts
There's a guy over at Probetalk who's already in the process of fitting a turbo to his Probe (MFY1) You could ask him for advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll certanly be in need of and looking for lots of advice along the way. :)

I will need to way up, in depth, weither to turbo or supercharge the KL03, and see where the bennefits and disadvantages lie in both.

Im not keen on losing the aircon system and I know that with some turbo setups you don't have a choice, but where there's a will there's a way :p

But like I mentioned, can't get ahead of myself here, I need a manuel KL03 (KLZE the compresion is to high, no good for FI) MX6 first. Then it's heavy duty clutch, upgraded brakes and probably an LSD. I wan't to make sure the car is ready for the extra power befor I have a rocket that can't stop, rips through gear boxes and has major traction issues :p

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Cool!

Im also interested with how your project goes aswell!

Seems like Mr Mx6 would be a good memer to gain ideas from after having a very brief disscusion with him in one of my threads recently. He's got me thnking about the potenial of a 2nd gen compared to the 1st gen. I never put much thought into it before but now i've been reading up on the kl-ze and kl-03. With good planning on the internal setup than wack on a hairdryer with fine tuning. The possibilites look very satisfying.
Goodluck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The KL03 has alot of untapped potential. A few people have done some great stuff to them though, it's just not as common as your SR20DET, Rotary etc. (which is what and why Im attempting what I am)

As for the KLZE, great engine but they are a high comp. and not good for turbo or supercharger.

There was a HSV shell with a heavily worked KL03 in it in australia, twin turbo, it was insane. Can't remember where that article was though, but it certanly show's that just about anything is possible with this engine.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
the TT KL03 thread is in the vault forum on the main page

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
yes. So its aiches mx6, btw do you know Bambinator is selling his 93 mx6 too? Canberra located car. asking about 13000 grand i think. Its in the for sale forum

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I personally approve of Bambinator car It's a steal buy.

The owner is a legend , many on this board will agree and is a sound.

AzZa you are probelry picking the right way.

Out of all the build-ups I have seen the best ones are always the new one's.

Personally I would try to get CAPA or the like to work on a supercharged engine as then a kit coudl be made yeah about $8000 like the rest but it's there for others to buy latter.

As for motors, I see it you need to go all out.
KL bottom end ZE heads intake - stock cams and 8.5:1 comp.
Forggies. I say this as if your going to spend the money this way, why go easy way. Go out hard build it once build it right.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Well last I heard Bambinator was in Canberra working at one of the local hospitals, havent heard anything from him saying he moved back to Sydeny, so I'm assuming he's in Canberra still

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
He used to live in Sydeny, unless he moved back, so I think someone like Silver or some of the other Sydney mx6ers should have his mobile number

edit : perhaps try his ICQ or Yahoo number/profile

1 - 20 of 20 Posts