Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a replacement rad for my 1st gen GT. Comparing the after market rad with my original, all looks fine except the new rad has 2 extra (what look like overflows) right near the (bottom) base of the rad. This has me a little bewildered. Does anyone know what these are for?

·
Registered
414 Posts
are you talking about the 2 holes at the bottom ? ( are they threated ?) If you are they are for an automatic ... Fro the trans coolers....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That makes sense that they could be for an automatic. There are 2 brass tubes with elbows and pointing up. They look exactly like 2 extra overflow valves to me, complete with little nipple thingie for tubing to be attached. I wanted to get this rad in this weekend but until I can figure out what these are, I'm handcuffed. My first instinct was to just plug them but I dont want to do that unless that is proper. I went to the supplier website, spectrapremium.com and both rads listed have these extra nipples. Their tech support is closed today.

Edit:
Just found the answer ------ Many aftermarket manufacturing companies make 1 version of a radiator replacement to fit both a manual and or automatic applications. Automatic transmission lines resemble two nipples on either the driver and or passenger tank of the radiator. This system is closed and meant only for the flow of transmission fluid. A "Closed Syste" denotes that the fluid that goes through your radiator will not mix or interact in physical nature with that of the transmission cooler. If you have manual transmission, just neglect to connect the lines and you are on your way!

91mazdaGT - Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Makes sense about the tranny cooler. But how about an oil cooler? Since most of you guys have manuals

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
why in the hell is this in the FAQ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts