Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retitled: Aftermarket ECU - 1st & 2nd Gens

Wold 3D WWW Site

Ok for all you first gens I have some good news (for those seaking more power). Any who have been chasing more boost, better economy, boost control through the factory boost solenoid etc.

I have been discussing with wold3d aswell as autronic, EMS, link and others.

most are only interested in selling us the unit, and in most cases perhaps an aftermarket loom - i.e. plug and play, then take it to be tuned.

Wold3d are offering us $1450 - INSTALLED! and no loom to be required - it will run full piggy back with the factory computer so you won't loose any functions. oh and se we all know - i'm talking about the Version 4 - not the recently discontinued 3.1

the unit will come with the appropriate plugs - unclick from the cpu - plug this in between - and 15 minutes later you are driving.

it will also come pre programmed with maps for our engines, and should only require less then half an hour on the dyno to finetune - again - it looks like they are willing to include in the price.

oh and for the fussy ones - gaurentee'd to be better the factory - things like 16 load pionts, mapping in 125 rpm increments, boost control, internal map sensor that will handle up to 20 psi, upgradable for more. oh and best of all - it uses both the TPS and the MAP sensor simultaneously - accurate - and you can bin the air flow meter. the insurance company should not mind that - drop a larger battery in and they won't even think its gone.

and for second gens - they are interested in perhaps you guys aswell. i'll ask more after I speak to them again on sunday morning.

now as for $1450. thats a deal for the mx6 club. the unit will be retailing at $1499 without any off the above!. As i mentioned i'll be speaking to them again on the weekend (I love having the bosses home number LOL) and I'd like to give them an idea of numbers of people who would be interested - so i can hopefully renegotiate the price a little - hey $50 is $50 - we'd all rather have it in our pockets.

now as for when - the unit should be ready in around 6-8 weeks. i'm seeing them on sunday so they can photograph all the connectors, part numbers from factory sensors etc.

oh and by the way - this is in melbourne - for the interstate guys - it can be shipped to you directly. it will be plug and play so its just a matter of having it tweaked elsewhere - look at thier dealers page on the www site.

now for everyone - I urgently need a copy of the factory wiring diagrams for a 1989 Mazda MX6 Turbo - URGENT. I want this to go as smoothly as possible (hey i'm impatient). this is so we can see how the factory loom interfaces with powersteering, abs, 4ws etc.

hell this is even good for you americian guys. wolf3d is wildlyavailable in the US. And damn cheap if you think about it - at around $1450 aussie - thats less then $800 US shipped to your door!

well people its up to you - I've spent a fortune in phone calls - now don't let me down :)

[email protected]

if you want more details e-mail me and I'll supply my contact details or reply via e-mail - whatever you prefer.

thanks for listening :cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I take it this is for the 1st gen only??

Is there anything similar for the 2nd gen. $1450 is VERY good for a full engine management system including fitting and tuning...

Get on board 1st genners!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey ric - i spoke with them again today, and as soon as i can get my hands on a wiring diagram i'll be dropping past.... if you can get a hold of a second gens for me i'll take it with me - but i don't see any reason why not - if anything it should be easier then with the first gen! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've heard (not my experience) that the Wolf 3D isn't as good in terms of tuneability and reliability as the comparable Microtech units. Does anyone else know more about the Wolf system?

Sounds like a pretty good deal though - especially seeing as this includes dyno tune and testing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting my sources have said the opposite lol

and we're talking about wolf3d V4.0 not 3.1

take a loot at thier site - it offers laptop compatibility, realtime tuning, data logging etc....

the features smoked the microtech - honestly i love the idea of an EMS or Autronic - but they weren't even remotly interested in a bulk deal of less then 10 units, aswell as the fact there was no chance of a pre programmed map just so it can be tweaked - full tunning required..... starts getting might $$$

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guess it all depends on who you believe .... you hear good and bad things about all of them. Perhaps people who bagged out the system didn't know how to set it up correctly????

The 4.0 does sound alot more advanced than the Microtech, does that $1450 include the handset? (or have they done away with the handset completely, only relying on the laptop).

If they had the base map, I wonder if that $1450 would include tuning of a highly modified engine (e.g. bigger difference between stock- more than fine tuning) i.e. more than 300 HP. If so, you'd be crazy not to go with this setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MXMAGIC

Guess it all depends on who you believe .... you hear good and bad things about all of them. Perhaps people who bagged out the system didn't know how to set it up correctly????

--> I'm not goin to argue that piont - but 2 mx's with that comment aswell as one of the blokes at a melbccr meet, and a silvia in brissy have told me they had problems... by the same token there is plenty with no problems - my arguement is that why skimp and save a couple of hundred $$ when the extra features along make it worth while let alone the 'plug and play' factor - it appears that will be the go and not require a new loom. And thats when most systems start getting pricey - loom and install

The 4.0 does sound alot more advanced than the Microtech, does that $1450 include the handset? (or have they done away with the handset completely, only relying on the laptop).

--> including the handset - the lap link is extra - personally i am not going to worry about that instantly - i can add it at any piont in the future - its just a cable :)

If they had the base map, I wonder if that $1450 would include tuning of a highly modified engine (e.g. bigger difference between stock- more than fine tuning) i.e. more than 300 HP. If so, you'd be crazy not to go with this setup.

--> how highly modified? more boost, exhaust, IC pipes etc? or bigger injectors, cam regrind, differant pistons and CR, fuel pump upgrade? the first is fine - that the whole piont of fine tuning - accomodating mild differances - i.e. 14psi not 7psi, exhaust etc
the second tho - withdifferant cam profile/injectors etc - well take that up with them - but as i would see it - that will require more time on the dyno - so it would only be fair you'd have to make up the differance there - not others buying the system. at the end of the day an extra hour won't blow the entire budget :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a friend with a pintara TRX who recently bought a wolf 3d system and installed it himself. cost was around $1200 for the unit, and it took him and another friend who's a bit of an electronics guru 2 days to install it, so the price seems good. he has had a lot of trouble tuning it though, even with professional help, so i'm still a bit wary of wolf. I'm unsure of the version he uses though, perhaps he has the older one? as for us second gens, i believe someone was enquireing and found that wolf couldn't handle the VRIS system, so that rules us out, unless of course this was addressed in the version upgrade as well. I'll try to get some more info from my mate or get him to post here re his problems with wolf 3d.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Due to public outcry i just spent another day on the phone chasing more information on other brands, and more prices aswell as compatability.

AVO Motorsport in Cheltanham
Link Plus - $1570 supply only PLUS $350 for Handset
OR $1850 Supplied, Fitted and Dyno Tuned - No Handset Included
OR $350 Less for the Basic Link Supplied and Fitted
www.link-electro.co.nz
A big plus on this unit is boost control via handset, aswell as waterspray quenching, dual knock sensors - take a look at the www site

Dyson Rotary in Geelong
(www page is unknown)
Mictrotech MT8 - $950 including loom
Handset - 4 Line Display (Top Unit) $140 If purchased with ECU
Fitting is $350
Tuning is a Further $90 (Full Dyno Tune)
Bulk Discount For 4 Orders - Approx $1350 Supplied with handest, installed and tuned.
Now the bad news - they have had problems with the 4WS when fitted to MX6 1st Gens BUT the head office in sydney has just come up with a program that allows the 4ws to operate at parking speeds although no 100% gaurentee for the rest - Seems that it works on some years not others... The other draw back is Microtech doesn't allow closed loop mixture control or full boost control adjustment via hand controller. Also no idle control i.e. for increased idle speed due to air con etc.

I'm still waiting on replys from:-
EMS - www.enginemanagementsystem.com
Autronic - unknown
Haltech - unknown
MOTEC - Nath, you wanna do the honours and research this one for me, my phone bill is bad enough already

well people? what are your thoughts now? I'd like to get a simple majority ruling so ALL input is welcome.

So far the wolf seems a good unit although general consensus seems to be they can be hard to tune
The microtech has its own unique problems
The Link seems superb although dearer but offering antilag, boost control, and for second gens - it will work with your wierd manifold that seems to be a problem with other computers. Oh and anyone swapping the FE3 with the VICS manifold - the actuator can be switched for a soleniod and run via the Links outputs - supposedly just been done in new zealand.... could be hearsay but seems feasible.

Keep comments rolling in please!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yes anton - it will indeed... I'm already thinking the same thing.

now another update - i was on the phone talking to unichip (air power systems), autronic and motec.

now autronic and motec are excellent systems - and BLOODY expensive.

the link isn't bad but you are stuck with the air flow meter, stock injectors etc... its really basically like fitting a chip - you can't exceed factory minimum or maximum settings. I asked about perhaps adding a larger air flow meter or tensioning the spring - they arn't prepared to tune for that - too much time required they beleive. also they won't supply you with a handset/software - and can only bne modified through an authorised unichip stockist....not alot

especially for $1500-$1600!!

now EMS.... i have to talk to them more.... they seem a strong contender.

Haltech - i really need more reasearch on thier system

Hawk - not suitable - no 4WS, no Air Con idle up etc

Link - seems good but i've heard good and bad so far as the ability to tune them accuratly....

Microtech - similiar to the hawk - no 4ws, no air con control, no boost control, etc...

MOTEC - DAMN good DAMN expensive

Perfect Power - no suitable for our application

Now from best to worse... general consensus from the places i've rung (way too many!!)

Motec -> Autronic -> Haltech -> Wolf/EMS -> Unichip/Link -> Microtech -> Hawk -> Perfect Power

Now in my opinion its gonna have to be one of 4...

Wolf3d Version 4, EMS, Unichip or Link (Not in that order)

From what I have heard the current version (3.1) of wolf lacked tuning ability.

Although the new Version 4 uses windows based mapping aswell as handcontroller - no hand controller alone - it would seem this would help aswell as a greater number of Load and RPM pionts.
EMS is in the same boat I beleive

Link and Unichip are basically a piggy back computer which will modify or alter factory signals to fool the computer.

Good but limited

Microtech is great if you don't mind loosing the things that make daily driving so easy, aswell as lacking a finely tuned map with X number of rpm and load pionts.

DAMN its a minefield out there!

oh by the way 1st gens - I just got word back from wolf that Version 4 supports turbo antilag!

Keep the comments running please!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nath - can you do me a favour and inquire about pricing and suitablity for motec?

and is anyone interested in doing a computer upgrade or should I not wait and 'go it alone' LOL

just raise ur hands or shake your heads - just so I know whether to keep bugging y'all or wether to keep posting as a bit of a guide for others later?

no worries!

·
Registered
539 Posts
So what's the news on the Wolf3D system? I just found out that my car is weird and it needs a custom EMS to extract more power out of it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
well what holds up the whole thing is that Brett cant find full ECS wiring diagram.....as soon as we have that Wolf 3D will make us ECS.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, keep me posted with the what's going on. If we can get the Motec system for a good price then that will be a better alternative. The Motec M4 is what we need for our car and I heard it is GOOD!!! I might as well get a new ECU 'coz my car has gone really weird. No one can find out why it is running so rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the pages woo - very very helpful

now bit of an update - me and jin are cashed up and ready to buy...it comes down to bang for buck - not all of us are willing to spend 3500+ on a motec system

mictrotech can be had relitivaly cheaply - and they will supply maps for mx6 turbo - just a matter of the wiring and getting it to the dyno for a final tune

wolf will do a plug and play system - no wiring required - and basic maps so again all that is needed is a final tune up

ems arn't interested in plug and play nor supplying base maps - they politley told me to 'do it yourself'.... and they are hard to get a hold of - slow to respond to e-mails or phone calls

now wolf is a victorian based system - handy cause it can be done ah la factory - where as microtech would be comming from sydney

also wolf had boost control and turbo antilag - microtech doesn't
wolf has closed loop operation - microtech doesn't
similiar count on outputs
both have the basics for NOS aswell.... ;)

now ems is a little more advanced, launch control, soft cut rev limiting, full nos control, electronic BOV, and a bunch of other tid bits

pricing.... well look back to the start....these sytems range from @$1000 and go up to $1550

bulk discounts are possible - and as with all things bulk - you can probably get the basic maps preprogrammed which saves time and money.

instalation is reletivly easy....

just lemme know what u want :)

also any questions - fire away!

·
Registered
539 Posts
So it is gonna cost $1450 for the Wolf 3D system and that includes the unit + handset and all related wiring, installation and dyno. Is that correct? Is that the system that you guys are getting?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts