Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about this....

Scan youir gauges like you normally would. Design the gauges in whatever color you want. Then, instead of printing them on a piece of photo paper per say, why not print them on transparency paper? My mother is a teacher and is always printing tranparencies for her classes in our printer. If you have a good lazer printer, you can have the gauges printed out on this clear plastic sheet and it would be just like the aftermarket gauges they sell. Yesterday I went by an inport shop and asked to look at some gauge faces for a civic. I felt the gauges and they were just that, a clear plastic sheet with the white gauges printed on them. I'm hesitant to try this on my own gauges but if someone e-mails me their gauges how they want them to be, I can print them out at my office's 5 thousand dollar Lazer printer on this plastic transparency sheet and see how it comes out. The only thing after that would be cutting them out, but that's th eleast of the problems.

So let me know and e-mail me your gauges. Actually I just need to try out 1 set of gauges. If you want, send me a couple and I'll choose th ebest one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You know I was thinking that same thing the other day. I have a Tektronix 740 down the hall from me that does some nice color and I have 25 sheets of tranparencies in my hand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had that thought myself about the white. I was thinking if you just do the background a shade off of white but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, I tried it at my printer at home (Ink Jet) and the gauge came out pretty good. I did it in a silver background and white numbers. The thing is, you can only see the actual color if you have it in front of white paper, or if you put it in a projector. If the face is laid out the way I have it now on th edash.. you'll barely see it.....

Ohh well... on to the next idea...

·
Registered
830 Posts
The way ink-jet printer works, is that you have to have a white paper in order for the gray color to work.... because they only have black, blue, pink, and yellow inks. So with out a piece of white paper, silver, gray will not show up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
that is very true. because white and gray are not colors...they are shades.

G

·
JPMX6GT, can you make white gauges with your offices laser printer.....if they come out good...all i want are the white gauges with numbers that the light will go through...please reply... I tried printing white gauges onto white paper and they were flimbsy and didnt look too great...Its for a 95 Mx-6 LS 6 cylinder

Thanx alot

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
i have an idea. i read somewhere on here that someone used a plastic transparent blue notebook cover and put it behind the gauges and it made a blue color. what if you find a transparent or milky white color notebook, print the transparency on the laser printer(or kinko's), and overlay the transparency on the white notebook. for the indiglo effect, you could replace the blubs to blue ones. i dont know if it would work because i dont know if they sell white notebooks. just a thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you go to Kinko's you can buy transperacy type paper that's already white. I don't know of any printers that print the shade white. The way it works, if your printer wnat's to print white, it own't print on that part of the paper. Or how about printing your guages, and putting a white background over the guages, and put the transperace onto the white background?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts