Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had three years of struggle trying to upgrade the headlights in my MX-6. A few years ago, I installed higher wattage (100w?) bulbs. They worked for around 10 months, but then both bulbs began to intermittently not light up. I discovered that the factory connectors had MELTED right into the bulb socket (!!), forcing me to cut the wires and install cheap Grand Auto replacement sockets. From that point on, I became G.A.'s best customer, buying new sockets every 2 - 6 weeks as the replacement connectors corroded and melted. Finally, I downgraded to a blue set of original-wattage bulbs, and while I can't freakin' SEE any more, at least the melting has completely stopped, and the bulbs light all the time. Here's my question:

Where can I buy a set of sockets that, like, won't MELT?? ;-)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow!. Ive heard of the wires melting due to the high wattage but having the socket melt itself... that's a new one for me. I've had PIIA 100 watt huperwhite bulbs for 2 months now. And I often checkl the wires after a long drive with the lights on and they don't seem that hot at all, certanly not hot enough to melt. Have you contacter your local import shops for any suggestions? I really never seen high performance headlight bulb SOCKETS.... Good luck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah, I have seem many people's headlight socket melted after they install the hyperwhite light bulb, some even melt the housing. What you can do is to spend some money and buy a set of brand name light bulbs, Piaa... They(Piaa) make many kinds of different bulbs, so choose the one you like. Also look for "100/55" on some of the boxes, that means it uses 55 watts but put out lights equal to a 100 watt bulb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts