Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there!

i used to have a jacobs ignition computer in my rx-7, it did wonders for it's mileage and the engine definitely ran smoother, but for that engine the upgrade was only $200 USD; well worth it.

i'm investigating the "ICE Pak" ignition system from Jacobs electronics. a sales dude got back to me with the following information:

Thank you for your inquiry on the ICE Pak Ignition system. The system works fantastic on your Mazda MX-6! We have the complete system available including the ICE Pak computer and Torquer Coil. You can expect the following minimal gains on your :

-8% gain in horsepower
-10% gain in torque
-16% better mileage
-quicker starts (Hot or Cold)
-smoother engine operation & idle
-eliminates bogs and hesitations and erratic idle
-maximum spark to get up to 99% fuel burn
-reduced spark plug and electrode wear

Okay, 13 additional ponies and 10% torque increase? The rest i can believe, their system worked quite well on my 7... but seeing as it so damn hard to get HP gains from the KL how is this possible?

$499 USD from Jacobs. if it delivers what they claim this is a GREAT bolt-on!

has anyone modded their 6 with a Jacobs, or MSD type system?

G

·
cheers

thanks for the post spish....
might send you a request for my info on your experience when i have a chance...
Damn the day job!!
;)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Wellll... remember, you're talking to a salesguy. It's his job to sell stuff and he'll do whatever he can to make the sale. In that light, did you honestly expect anything other than "The system works fantastic on your Mazda MX-6! " from this guy?? Perhaps "Well, you probably won't see much of a power gain but you'll definitely think the engine is idling smoother..."?

Ask him for before and after dyno charts done on a Dynojet. See how fast he's forthcoming with that proof. If he can't reproduce actual dyno proof, ask him how he knows "The system works fantastic on your Mazda MX-6! "

FWIW, I don't think you'll see an iota of difference and $500 is a huge amount of money for that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I know I'm talking to a sales person, which is why I wanted to know if anyone here had tried out an aftermarket ignition system. I've emailed him with the following:

Do you have proof of your 8% HP and 10% torque gains? I would be very interested in seeing dynomometer plots (preferrably on a Dynojet) done with and without your product. If you can back up these claims I'm quite sure I could interest a few potential buyers. Also, I'm curious as to how you know that "The system works fantastic on [my] Mazda MX-6!"?

I'll post his response.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Good stuff spish. Hopefully you get some hard evidence one way or the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts