Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light on the dash will blink 5 times then it will blink 1 time. Any clues as to what this means before I take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
806 Posts
This is per Mike94PGT's site: http://home.golden.net/~trinity/

The supplemental restraint (SRS), better known as "air bag" system will flash the highest priority code on the air-bag lamp on the dash with no need for any pin in the Diagnostic box to be grounded. The codes are read, again, like the engine codes, but now on the Air Bag light on the instrument cluster. A summary of codes and the reasons (NOTE: these are from a 1993 Ford Service Manual. Later models with dual airbags (1994+) may have additional codes not covered here. Email me if you encounter one. Also, I hope but am unsure if these apply to the MX-6...):

Code 51 DM internal fuse: blown and short to ground no longer exists

His e-mail: [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
found DM, now where is the darn fuse

My air bag light is flashing a 51 code at me. Xeon helped me find out that this means: Code 51 DM internal fuse: blown and short to ground no longer exists

Do anybody have an idea where the DM internal fuse would be located? I have found the DM but can't find a fuse to save my life.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: found DM, now where is the darn fuse

ryanyahoo said:
My air bag light is flashing a 51 code at me. Xeon helped me find out that this means: Code 51 DM internal fuse: blown and short to ground no longer exists

Do anybody have an idea where the DM internal fuse would be located? I have found the DM but can't find a fuse to save my life.
Thanks for the props Xeon :)

ryanyahoo,

The DM ("Diagnostic Module") is the main airbag computer. It contains an internal fuse that cannot be fixed or altered. This fuse will be blown open by the DM on purpose if the DM senses that there is a short circuit on one or more of the airbag deployment circuits.

This is a pretty serious fault. Any of the circuits that are potentially shorted can result in an unexpected airbag deployment. The DM, trying to prevent this from happening, blows the internal fuse on purpose, which removes power from all of the airbag deployment circuits.

If the short sensed by the DM is permanent, the DM will flash code 13. If the short is intermittent (comes and goes), the DM will flash code 51.

I'm afraid this type of repair should be left to a dealership. The source of the fault must be located and fixed and then the DM must be replaced.

HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
air bag light update

As Xeon said, the DM is getting replaced. Parts and labor are running me $225. That damn light better not ever come on again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts