Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my air bag light is blinking a 51, which according to Mike's site: "DM internal fuse: blown and short to ground no longer exists." Where is this fuse located, and how important is it. Also I would imagine a proffesional would have to do it, but is there a chance I can do it myself?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My real concern is if the air bag has to be repacked, thats what would cost me. I guess no one really knows the answer, well I'll find out from the mechanic on Monday.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When you do find out, keep us posted. I've been getting the same trouble code for some time now. I just haven't had the money to fix it. I barely notice it anymore.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same exact code on my 93 LS. I have a subscription to alldata.com and according to their information. The airbag computer will need to be replaced along with the malfunctioning component. It says there somewhere that airbag components are not meant to be fixed but require complete replacement. My guess is that one of the wiring harnesses are damaged. Perhaps the harness leading to the front crash sensor is damaged. $80 at the dealership for a worthless diagnostic. Don't bother with it. Replacing all the harnesses and the computer will hopefully solve this problem. Do not attempt to simply replace the computer. The faulty component will register the same code and you'll have to get another SRS computer. I will attempt this myself as soon as I source the parts. This hurts the cars resale value.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Check my reply in this thread. If it were my car, I wouldn't ignore it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the code now changed to 13. Let me just get this strait though, the DM blows the fuse on purpose to avoid the air bag going off when there is a short. So does that dissable the air bag system all together or does it still have a chance of going off when it isn't suppossed to?

·
Registered
90 Posts
WickdGin said:
Well the code now changed to 13. Let me just get this strait though, the DM blows the fuse on purpose to avoid the air bag going off when there is a short. So does that dissable the air bag system all together or does it still have a chance of going off when it isn't suppossed to?
That sounds about right. That's what the dealership told me, although after two visits they said that they were no closer to finding out exactly what was wrong. Mine changed to a code 13 as well but only for two days and then it reverted back into the code 51. You may see this occur in your as well. Let me know what you find out from the dealership that you bring your car into into. I'd really appreciate finding out exactly what component caused the 51 & 13 codes to appear so that I can replace it. Hopefully the technicians at your dealership are more concerned with quality service than the ones on mine are. Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, it only stayed reading 13 for a day or so, and I am presently still getting 51. I am taking my car in as soon as my father gets his back so I have a car I can borrow while mine is in the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts