Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys know how our air boxes have a tube that goes into the fender right?? Where does that go?? anywhere?? can u use it for ram air?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It goes somewhere alright. The problem is that the somewhere is not much better than nowhere. No real airflow will occur but it is well protected from debris and water! It could *possibly* be used for Ram Air - but that would be futile - better to make your own with flex tubing. Search for this on here - there have been many posts regarding homemade ram air.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about removing the air box to put in a K&N filter. I wouldn't know what to do with all the sensors and connections and shit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don't remove the air box, just remove the resonator box from inside the fender, and use a K&N drop in.
That's the most cost effective way to do it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
resonator is a black box inside the fender. to find it follow the intake from the air box. to remove it ,from what i hear, you need to take the fender off.
hope it helped

·
Registered
332 Posts
To reamove the resonator you do not have to remove the fender. You have to remove the platic guard around the front drivers side wheel well. Once that is off you can see the tubing inside the fender and how useless it all is. I pulled off the resonator but I doubt that really did much for performance.

I do have drop in K&N filter and plan of using the stock box but get some sort of ram air out of it. I preferr the stock box becuase it protects the intake from the super super hot air in the engine bay.

I am thinking about a scoop on the side fender and running a short tube right into the stock box. I think this should work because the stock air box enters the side fender right there. All i will have to do is run the tube straight out the side fender. I just have to find a small scoop to fit on the flat surface on the side fender.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm thinking about using the stock air box, too, with a K&N filter. Removing the resonator, and doing the CAI thing with dryer ducting. When I have money to get the car painted however, I'm gonna do like MX6Rocket from over at the Yahoo board with a hood scoop, and big cone filter, and heat shield. That seems to be the best way, plus, I love the way the scoop looks on the hood.

·
Registered
59 Posts
that stuff all works but i have the most inexpensive "ram air" youll ever find. take some dryer duct and go around the battery to the front end and put it there somewhere and figure out some sort of thing to catch the air and force it in. I found that to work nicely. that and my K&N have a noticable from stock crap

·
Registered
666 Posts
You won't actually get any ram air off of it, but, the cold air will definitely help.
I am gonna do that too, just haven't had the time yet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you have to remove the battery tray to remove the silencers??
Do you have any pics? I want to see how you ran the tubing.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am picking up my K&N filter (stock airbox drop in) tomorrow night after work. If you guys have any pics of creative ducting (sp), PLEASE post, I'm giving it a shot this weekend!

wooo hooooo
lino.

·
Registered
332 Posts
See my post in ram air inductions suggestions. I did tubing for the stock box this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts