Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried making an air box? sort of like the ones they make for big F150s. I have done a little research on them and seen that they actually can make more horsepower than a CAI. Its sort of like the ones on drift cars and 240s,etc. If anyone has any suggestions on the way I can build this, I would appreciate the help.http://www.modacar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/arc_induction_intake.jpg or would it be more feasible to buy one for another vehicle and adapt it to my six.:tup: Also, is anyone familiar with the Weapon R intake? does it make any gain or just take from your wallet?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm a fan of the custom air box. All I would do is adapt a stainless steel intake pipe form the throttle body to the air box -

- Steel should at least not develop cracks and become brittle etc
- Looks better

But then you could argue that the steel would retain too much heat....

Custom CAI is usually a HAI (hot air lol) when people attach pods to where the air box should be. Even if you do somehow route the filter down low away from engine heat, it still won't gain much power and it then develops a bunch of new problems (getting water splashed from beneath etc).

I'd like to see dyno graphs proving the difference of a supposed CAI over stock. It bet there's hardly a difference or the CAI is actually making less power.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
There are dyno sheets around. Try searching. It has been proven that the CAI makes one or two mor HP than the stock air box. More due to improved airflow than colder air.

This guy did a pretty neat experiment
http://dmtrx.ca/mx6/Project/CAI_Testing.pdf

·
Registered
44 Posts
My issue is kinda a long story... I put an eBay CAI on my I4 (I know, I know, bad mojo) and it ran fine, noticeably more balls. But when I was doing my tune-up, I got... distracted by my girliefriend, and put my rotor on wrong (the damn thing goes on one of three different ways) and messed up the distributor timing. I had one place set it as best they could, but they told me that only Mazda could set it 100% correctly because they have some special tool to do it. Well, ever since I had it at the dealer, the thing has run like crap, stalled, and either missed, or backfired. Mazda blamed my CAI, saying that it was drawing in too much air, to which I asked "so why was it working fine BEFORE??" but just for the sake of argument, i put all the original parts back on. runs a LITTLE better, but still misses and stalls. I'm taking it back on my next day off, but any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
We have a VAF. it sucks. and makes our gains for intake a bitch :/

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
You could make something like this:

We use these in our S2000's, they often come out of the front bumper and are flush.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
AJ, that looks badass. It probably wouldn't be hard to make one for the mx6.

We have a VAF. it sucks. and makes our gains for intake a bitch :/
:angel: Notice anything missing?

It is by no means cost effective but you can remove the VAF if you install megasquirt. :tup:

·
Registered
778 Posts
heres my "box over the pod filter" since removed because it blew too much rubbish from under the bumper into the filter but it certainly did keep it cooler. i dont know about the MX6 but on the probes theres 0 places to take cold air from the bumper.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/dstojko/pr5.jpg

::edit:: forgot the pic DOH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts