Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys..the other hot day i decided to turn on the air con cause it was a hot day...but the air coming out was hot(and yes i set it correctly)
....our air con system is not reverse cycle is it?? does anything need to br refilled or somethin?

·
Registered
793 Posts
you will need a re gas, can be done for under 100
new filter, remove old gas safely, install new gas, check for leaks.
hopefully yours isnt leaking near the evaporator like my priveous 626

·
Registered
236 Posts
dt, if you can hear the aircon turn over, its the cooling gas that needs to be replaced, im not sure there life, depends how much you use it i guess. If you need a retro-fit, (old cooling system to new cooling system needed for aircons before 1993 i think) then it will cost some dosh. However, if any previous owners have had it changed and it is just the cooling liquid thats had it, its pretty cheap.

My retro fit last year cost:
retrofit = $175
new dryer = $69 (Usually needed if retro-fit needed)
and about 45 minutes labour. (Costs are at newcastle aircon place, other quotes almost identicle)

Replacement liquid would probably under a $50.

shaun.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Unfortunately aircon stuff can get damn expensive. I also had a leaking evaporator, got quoted $1500 to fix, retrofit and regas. Also the two hoses that go the compressor needed replacing, in that cost.

I hate not having it, especially in townsvilles stupid hot summers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Same here Tim, mine blew 3Kms into a 3000km round trip to brisbane in january 2 years back. after trying many times to fix it myself, i took it to a few shops and got quoted between $1200 and $1800. I'm never going to pay to have it fixed most probably so i removed the compressor and condenser, saved about 20ish Kg and some parasitic drag, that idle pulley on the compressor is damn heavy!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Also just note you might have blocked TX Valve it's comon on these cars or most if not 95% of any air-coned car that does not use it's air-con at least once a week.
I remember the Wagon got blocked and at the time there were no spares available 2nd hand as the internal evaperator had failed as well.

But if you get it gassed and find if does not take the gas don't be surprised if it's a TX valve.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i think im just gonna leave it...i prefer to have the windows and sunroof opened anyway on a hot day...which is why i havent used the air con in a year...
not to mention im sick of forking money over on every single part of this car

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Das00 - You need it up here hey.

Whats the story with your car of late, was smoking a little the other day I saw you.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
If you are out of gas then there is a reason... ie. You have a leak somewhere. It is not the re-gas that will kill you, but fixing why it leaked.

Normally, they refil the car up with a dye and get you to run the air con for a week... come back and presto you have dye where it leaks. Or, you could just get it re-gassed at see how long it stays cold for.

Apparently, you where supposed to run the air con from time to time to get the liquid moving... hence what Rodhog has already said.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i was aware of the need to run it every week...but basically...i forget.
turning on my air con for 10min a week is the last thing on my mind lol

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I'm English so I have the air con on in winter:D (BTW we are also going to win the rugby) But my aircon packed in last november. the auto elec had the dash out changing the condensor or evaporator??? then topped the gas up to find the Compressor was leaking, they got a replacement compressor and found that was leaking as well. They gave me my keys back & sent me on my way with the new thing in the dash (for $0) and a leaking compressor. The gas lasted about 2.5months, which at least got me through till Feburary.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Apparently if you don't use it regularly the mildew gets in there (hence the funny smell when you turn it on), maybe the mildew can block it after time?

Mine isn't too effective on 30 degree+ days, if I direct it to my legs with shorts on, windows open, and sunroof open, it doesn't feel much colder than the outside hot air. I assume it is normal...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I believe turning it on once a week or whatever is to lubricate the seals so that they dont crack and leak. Mine having sat in a dealer for near on 2 years doesnt seem to have any hope of not being buggered on that fact alone.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well your all right things can happen but the biggest pain and problem Especailly air-bag equiped cars is TX valve. This is what opens and closes to let the gas into the evaporator to allow it to do it's thing.

when it sits closed some times it will get stuck then you turn it on, you create a leak from pressure build up and gas leaks out, so not only do you have a leak but a TX valve that needs replacment. Problem with passnger air-bags is that if care is not take when removing the dash as most of these cars have the evaporator behind them it can go of and cuase either $$$$$$$$$for a bad or even worse.

The mildew problem is not so much in the gass but in the intake of the fan. If you get well small leave dirt ETC into it - hard to avoid it builds up on the intake side of the Evaporator when cold gases go in it causes some nasty smells.
Problem I hate so far I have ofudn with the GD is you can't remove the fan without removing the air-con unit meaning re-gasing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Tim, I haven't noticed any smoke but i wouldn't be suprised, I think my engine is coming to the end of it's life and I'm just letting it die before going for a ZE mid-late next year. The day i saw you was a few days before the distributer died (212 000kms on the old design in 35-40 heat, must be a record) so it's possible it was missing a bit. also i have the terrible friction gear noise (at least i think that's what it is, loud clicking between 1500-3000rpm) and i can smell burning oil when it's clicking, but it doesn't leak any oil on the ground :confused: also doesn't click all the time. meh, i'm just spending minimal money to keep it alive until I pick up a bike around feburary then the car will be semi-retired pending ZE-ification.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey ribfeast, dont know whats doing with your aircon, the air that is pumped out of my first gen is nipply at the least. Windows up, aircon on, 30 deg days turn into blizzards in my car if i crank it up. Mind you, as of last week, I have incurred the troublesome, fan on, no air, fan off, air on problem, re: other post. My car is heavily window tinted, that does wonders for the temp in the cabin as well.

Shaun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts