Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air conditioner behaves strangely. When the car is moving, then it blows cold, when I stop idling, it blows warm.

I tried this. With the car stopped and idling, I put it in neutral, let out the clutch, and rev'd the engine, no difference.

I did notice that when I'm looking in the engine compartment, the left fan is broken and doesn't spin (I have a 4cyl). Would this have anything to do with it?

Also, when the car is idling, it makes a horrible sound that I believe is the radiator fan that is still working. If I turn off the AC, then it stops howling, but I think that's because the radiator fan stops spinning when I turn off the AC. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The left fan is the secondary for the air conditioning or when your car is running way hot. The "howling" noise is most likely the motor trying to turn broken bearings. The a/c needs this fan to function correctly. First check the relay and fuse for it, but the noise suggests that the motor is being shady, hell just wire it straight to the battery and see if it turns. The reason it works when u are moving is that there is a constant flow of "cool" air, so it doesn't need the fan as much.

Rabbit

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i believe your compressor is bad. so at idle you dont get cold air because its not moving fast enough to overcome its crappyness :D id have the compressor checked out. good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the broken fan, and I think I get cold AC when the car is stopped now, but the noise is still there and seems to be coming from the compressor. It only does it at low rpm's though. If I rev. the engine a bit, then it stops making the noise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got a compressor question too!

I have a similiar problem. My compressor clicks for anywhere from 3 seconds to non-stop when it kicks on. I was told that it could be low on freon or that it is on its way out. My dad said it sounds like possibly a belt. Would a loose belt cause it to click? It cools like normal but just clicks like crazy. It will instantly stop clicking when I turn the A/C button off. Sorry to barge in on someone else's post, but I thought this was a good place to ask the question. I really hope that this tensioner thing does the trick because I was told that to fix the compressor would cost $700 in parts alone! Thanks - Andrew

·
Registered
150 Posts
wow, 700? i have found one for my GF's 97 Accord for just $107 shipped to my door.. i found it at car-parts.com... and installed and fezon just $130, so the labor is not too bad..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Re: I got a compressor question too!

AnDaCo2002 said:
I have a similiar problem. My compressor clicks for anywhere from 3 seconds to non-stop when it kicks on. I was told that it could be low on freon or that it is on its way out. My dad said it sounds like possibly a belt. Would a loose belt cause it to click? It cools like normal but just clicks like crazy. It will instantly stop clicking when I turn the A/C button off. Sorry to barge in on someone else's post, but I thought this was a good place to ask the question. I really hope that this tensioner thing does the trick because I was told that to fix the compressor would cost $700 in parts alone! Thanks - Andrew
If it's clicking man, i'm afraid to say that the compressor has had it, there is no easy fix for that. Your only cheap option is to try and find one out of a wrecked low mileage car, like my friend Kev's!!! PM him on here at PlanoMX-6LS , he'll hook u up.

Rabbit

G

·
0 Posts
I don't think the clicking necessarily means the compressor is bad, I've got the same problem, and I just (last winter) took it to the shop where they replaced all that stuff, and mine still clicks like mad, but it still blows cold, any other ideas...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Geez, that wasn't what I really wanted to here. Oh well, thanks for all your help. - Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
My air condition too behaving strangely that it make some notice after running some times and after some time it stops and it happened repeatedly till the ac is not switched off. So for fixing this issue, I call an ac repair expert who told that its fan got tilled and sometimes touch the wall and then make the notice, he fixes the issue now it is okay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts