Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my car the air conditioning was working fine, then it stopped. I had them put some of that stuff in there and it worked fine for about an hour. No more air conditioning. Does that mean I have a leak? Please give me some leads here. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
check the compressor

have fun!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Auto air conditioners have a pressure switch. If it doesn't sense enough pressure (meaning the system has become discharged by a leak), it won't allow the compressor to turn on. From my experience though, it would take a heck of a leak to lose enough charge in 1 hr, but it's possible.

What year is your MX-6? I'm not sure if 93-94s had R-12, but it's illegal to charge an R-12 system if it knowingly has a leak I think, other than to charge it enough to find the leak.

Tyson

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There should be a sticker either on the hood or on the radiator surround panel telling you if you have R-12 or R-134A in your A/C system. That will tell you what to recharge it with. If it's R-12 you should check to see if it's been converted if you're not the original owner.

Tyson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts