Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering..i want to put an air filter pod to my mx6 1st gen..i searched the forum about it but cant find it..i want to know wat brand and part number most ppl use ...and how much it cost to buy and also put it in?? or can u just install it urself?

thanks

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
u can install it urself. go to a auto store like autobarn and ask for a pod filter ADAPTOR.....
i have a pod filter and in the heat, it really slows the car down cause it sucks in the hot engine air.

i will be making a heat shield for her soon...so in short...if u want a pod filter, u MUST buy/make a heat shield. otherwise just buy a K&N panel.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
its like $10 or somethin..its cheap stuff...u MIGHT need to go buy bolts that fit from a hardware..but its really easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok kewl...umm wats the best air filter to use..wat kind of k&n?? and wats this cold air thingy ur on about?? its not that hard to do so y havent u dont it?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
its VERY hard to put a cold air intake in a 1st gen cause theres no room.

u can buy pod filters that have their own heat shield around them. simoto make some...but the best thing to do is make ur own heat shield from aluminim. measure out the dimensions of where u want the heat shield to go then go buy aluminium and have them cut it to size.

easy. i will be doing it soon.

check this site out:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30205&highlight=air+filter+heat+shield

this is how i will be doin mine

cheers :)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I recently made up a tube for my pod filter ..
It extends the intake down below the splash guard …
Cost ~15bux . .it is just 65mm retick pipe from the hardware store and 3 45 degre bends..
I had the heat the first bend up to stretch it over the adaptor, you can use a heat gun or even an electric fan heater…

the pod was a 40 $ coppy of a K&N...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
looks sweet mr mx6. it wouldnt be too good when u drive through a pudle of water though, which is why i dont think ill be doing that setup anytime soon hehe.

i assume u moved ur battery to the boot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr mx6 i noticed wher u had ur bov placed?? i thought most ppl put them right next to the turbo..u know just on that 10 cm ish pipe behind the radiator???..with that BOV do u get that good rattle snake noise?? or just the pish??

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
yea I can put a shorted bit of pipe if it becomes a problem..
the battery is in the boot from last attempt @ an intake ..

but I figure now I can bring it back as there is plenty of room..

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
AnToNiOWoW said:
Mr mx6 i noticed wher u had ur bov placed?? i thought most ppl put them right next to the turbo..u know just on that 10 cm ish pipe behind the radiator???..with that BOV do u get that good rattle snake noise?? or just the pish??
I get plenty of both..
The diameter of the BOV is more like 40 mm and it is welded into the metal pipe just there .. alas it was not my choice to put it there as it was there when I got the car.. but as far as I can tell it is a good spot 4 it..
The blue BOV is a good old super cheep autotecnica monza cost 120 bux .. .
It is pretty much as far as I can tell a copy of the turbo smart valve, with the addition of the trumpet…
This is both valves together..

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
my BOV is on the pipe that AnToNiOWoW described. this is the peipe that takes air from the turbo back to the intercooler. this is the place u should put it if u want a loud pssshhttt. but it makes the car run rich.

p.s. mr. mx6, i hope that pod is a rechargeable/oiled one or u will be buying a new one every 3 months due to puddles and stones hehe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was installing a pod filter 2day...and wen taking off the stock air box i noticed a little tube connected to it which lead bak to somewher in the efi...now i thought that tube didnt really matter..but i heard it does...some pod filters have that hole where u can put it into..but mine doesnt have that..So i was wanting to know..do i really need it connected to anything?? or can i just let it hang freely where it wants?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
that little tube is for equilizing pressure (or so ive read).

mine has been just hanging around for almost a year now, with no adverse affects (to my knowledge). once i blocked the end with a screw and it caused my car to stall. you should probably cut a small hole in the back of your pod and attach it there, ive been meaning to do this for ages but havent gotten around to it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
it will still suck in air, but it will be un-filtered. simple as that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts