Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the air flow meter on my '89 GT. I replaced it with a meter from a '90 626. According to Mazda, the part #s for the '88 - '92 turbo MX-6, non-turbo and 626 are all the same.

I've noticed that with the replacement meter installed, my turbo does not burst on to the scene as it used to. There does not seem to be the rush of power that I used to have at about 2700 to 3300 rpm. To be honest, I can't tell yet if I'm actually not getting as much boost or if the boost is coming on over a wider rpm range and not all at once.

Anyway, I got some input on one of the other message boards and it was indicated to me that eventhough the meters may be the same, the settings or adjustment of the meters on the turbo and non-turbo models may be different and my replacement meter may need to be properly adjusted.

Do any of you guys have any information on this?

·
Registered
449 Posts
the things are the same, but the 626 one maybe more worn. As you know, the AFM is the flapper door style. The door is controlled by a spring to keep the door closed. However over time the spring itself will wear (be become weaker) and go out of 'alignment'.

To help back myself up, the valve springs are the same way. As they get older and depending on use they get weaker and tend to close slower (ultimately break) in their cycle. In the case of the AFM, the door would open too much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts