Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you put in a cold air intake and made it fit without the vaf installed what would happen? Tell me the results with the vaf still plugged in and just sitting in the engine compartment or if the vaf was disconnected. Give me all the possible results if you could please and feel free to through in any extra information about the vaf if you want. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why isn't anyone responding? Am I a dumbass for not knowing what would happen cause to me in seems like a reasonable way to cheat your car for less restrictive airflow?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
andrewstcyr said:
Why isn't anyone responding? Am I a dumbass for not knowing what would happen cause to me in seems like a reasonable way to cheat your car for less restrictive airflow?
No one is responding because no one wants to flame you.... nor do I.

OK, Im going to make this real simple.

Your car won't run at anything other than full throttle. Full throttle should work just fine. Otherwise, it will....lean out, and not run.

-Garrett

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i drove my car for awhile like that.... the idle was kinda choppy but i only drove it like that to run to the store to buy a new drill bit to make the hole for the vaf... i dont think you'll notice any gains with it out and its easy enough to just drill a hole and stick it in

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skiingman said:

Your car won't run at anything other than full throttle. Full throttle should work just fine. Otherwise, it will....lean out, and not run.

-Garrett
I believe it's the throttle body that controls the air flow when u step on the pedal mr. I'm not going to flame you oh wait here I go!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
andrewstcyr said:
I believe it's the throttle body that controls the air flow when u step on the pedal mr. I'm not going to flame you oh wait here I go!
Uh, yeah, the throttle body does control the airflow, wise guy. Of course, the VAF measures it.

If you flow air that you don't measure, you don't add fuel for it, now do you? The ECU uses the VAF to determine the fuel mapping for part throttle operation. At WOT, and in some other special cases, the fuel tables are preset.

-Garrett

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just because I didn't know that didn't mean u had to get all "flamer" on my @$$. Just remember some know more than others about different things so you don't have to act like a stuck up prick to people when you know something they don't! Anyways I am a least grateful to know that is the purpose of the vaf.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
andrewstcyr said:
Just because I didn't know that didn't mean u had to get all "flamer" on my @$$. Just remember some know more than others about different things so you don't have to act like a stuck up prick to people when you know something they don't! Anyways I am a least grateful to know that is the purpose of the vaf.
I apologize if I "got all flamer on your ass". Thats what I was attempting to avoid.

Go back and read your 3rd post and see why I may have been slightly condescending in my second...
-Garrett

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you ask me it looks like skii was just trying to be nice but you had to be a little bitch about it. He was just answering your question, he never had an attitude.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
skiingman said:

-Garrett
How did he flame you? :confused: WTF?!

A. - Yes, you are a dumbass.

B. - No, this is by no means a reasonable way to "cheat" your car.

(Refer to "A" above)

THAT was a flame. See the difference now?? *Pats head condescendingly* Good knob.......I mean newb.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
LOL, thanks for getting my back guys :)
Seriously though, sometimes I am a condescending jerk, though I try not to be...
-Garrett

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are being so mature Noncorporeal
I know I toke things the wrong way the first time but I'm not draggin on about it and nobody needs to turn this into a bickering contest and yes I am a newbie and yes I don't know that much about cars YET!!! If this was a forum on bmx biking, or welding I could be calling you the newbie and flaming you but I'm not immature even for my age of 17. So if you want to continue picking on a 17 year old go right ahead!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Look, welcome to the boards. I don't think Noncorporeal was trying to be too much of an ass. You just need to get used to people being a bit condescending here and there. I don't think anyone's being overly bad in this thread yet. But basically, yes, you need the VAF. You hit the gas pedal. It pulls the throttle cable, which in turns opens the throttle plate. This varies how much air your engine ingests. The VAF measure the air and the ECU gives signals to the fuel system to dump the appropriate amounts of fuel. If the ECU (computer) can't monitor the air intake then there's no way for it to get a decent mix of air and fuel to the engine. And no way your car will run. Get it hooked up right and unplug the wiring harness on the sied of it and try and start your car. You'll see the difference.

·
Registered
979 Posts
..if you can start it at all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
andrestycr
first off, Garrett was not trying to flame you. He was merely trying to caution you. There is a hierarchy on this site that you should recognize. There are some fellas that know all, and are looked up to. Now, I'm not saying you should kiss anyones' ass, but you should recognize the top dogs.
I personally monitored this site for almost a year (mostly because I had trouble signing on) before making my first statement. And in that time, I discovered who was who. You cant just come in and say whatever to just anyone. Some of these guys have built their prestige, and therefore earned the respect we give to them. Be cautioned, otherwise you may never get a positive answer to any future questions or comments.
In response to your question, your car will hesitate like a virgin on the first night. I unplugged mine just a few days ago, and the car stalled horribly, and almost went mute. But it did come back to idle. Sounded pretty bad too. Almost like it was sick. However, whenever I hit the throttle, it hesitated for a good sec or two before any reaction took place. All this was at a stop. I seriously dont recommend you try this and put your car in motion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts