Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, while the mechanic was taking off the tube that goes from the throttle body to the valve cover(i think this is called air intake tube..??), the damn thing snapped at the end, and the rubber split. i taped it up good for now. but im just wondering what exactly is it called? and how much am i looking at to buy it?

p.s. he was doing this to put in my new VCG. yes thats right, its finally done, along with the dissy seal and other various things. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
sounds like the PVC inlet to me.

Its low pressure (ie 0 - 30mm/Hg vaccuum), so the tape will hold for a fair while.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not its not the PCV, its the other tube that goes to the valve cover. anyone know the exact name and price of it?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I *may* be wrong, but Im pretty sure you are talking about the PCV intake... the hose with the actual valve in it is the exhaust, this should lead back to the air box (or close to it).

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
yup it would be the pcv hose..

i dont know if you have to buy the whole lot or just the hose itself..

Aslong as the hose doesnt leak then your all set.. personally i would replace it unless its totally had the carrot.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just looked it up, its the vacuum hose, but the plastic plug on the valve cover is the PCV valve. Eitherway, regardless of names, there is no reason to replace it unless it is totaly cactus. Youdjust need to tape it up and it might look a bit ghetto but you can tell all the Civic and Echo kiddies its heat sheilding ;)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahah.

u cant tell the tape is there, but i wanna get a new one anyway. cant cost too much.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Dont count on it ducky, they are a specific moulded hose, not just a length of silicone hose. I was quoted 70 bucks from mazford in brisbane, not sure how indicative that is of prices elsewhere. You may be able to use something different, but im doubtful. Just tape and silicone it up, did mine months ago, is fine. The piping gets old and hard, breaks very easy as you have seen. Otherwise this is the perfect opportunity to set up an oil/air separator, or oil catch tank. The f2 does have a lot of blow-by as it gets older, can effect combustion.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i am getting blowby, but couldnt be bothered doing any more mods as i am thinking of selling her soon. for a easily driven car, what is the estimate of how long a engine will last before it starts getting blowby??? i.e. 100,000km, 150,000km...????

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Is it the pcv hose or the hose that runs from the manifold to the far side of the rocker cover? 'Cause if thats what it is then just replace it with a piece of $2 silicone hose, as that one is not moulded.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im talking about the hose that goes from the THROTTLE BODY into the valve cover. it takes air from the throttle body and puts it INTO the valve cover.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

thats the intake manifold rather than the throttle boddy..

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Mr 6 I think you got it the wrong way man

The one on the left is the Positive crank case ventilation -VALve with tube into THE MANIFOLD INTAKE

The one on the right is the
Positive crank Ventiltion release. Known more as the breather valve or hose Older cars have this to the air but Cars like ours are of sealed intake system meaning any holes you car run roguh more fuel etc.

The one on the right has the valve and a rubber boot that holds it in place it usually get's brittle/cracks and fall into the baffle inside. parts $15 from mazda for the boot.

the other hoses are approx $20 to $25 from mazda last time I checked, but I used aftermarkt $6 meter tube same diameter instead does the job - note not on my car.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
ducky, mr mx has it right, the one on the right in the pic is the pcv pipe and it lets oil and vapour vent back into the intake. This is where you set up your catch can/oil-air seperator. So which one is broken? neither vent to the "throttle body"

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the one that cracked is the one on the right of that picture...

what part name should i ask the guys at autobarn for?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
dont bother with autobarn, you'll have to get it thru mazda. like i said, silicone it up and use some tape also, will work fine.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats what i done. but i didnt put silicone on the rubber, i just put some on the mating parts at each end cause they also cracked.

i taped up the rubber with some good strong tape.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ok, the one on the left is the Positive Crankcase Valve (PCV). It is a symetrical s bent tube. The one you're after (on the right) is the ventilation hose, It is not so symetrical but is attached by a screw/bolt onto the valve cover.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aight cool.
thx for the help guys :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts