Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well i have an 1.8 capella gts c2 (mx6) RHD. ive got a k&n drop in air filter but it doesnt make the noise im after (ie no induction noise at all) some people have had gains from cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox but some have lost power. if i cut a hole will i get a loud roaring induction sound? if i cut the hole and reset the ecu to accompany the breathing changes will this guarantee success with noise/power? how do i reset the ecu? is it simply disconnecting the battery and reconnecting?
sorry bout all the questions but any help is much appreciated
:-D

·
Registered
449 Posts
you can see about getting a cone filter to replace the stock box. It will make the sound you are looking for.

Just disconnect the battery for about 5~10mins should definitely reset the ecu.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that info. when i get my next car (Telstar TX5/626 2.5 V6) il use a cone filter but the thing is is that i already paid nz$160 for k&n drop in filter and dont have the funds to cos a decent cone filter prob cost even more than that. is there any other way to improve the induction sound? is there any point in taking out the resonator(?) in the front guard?
cheers

·
Registered
449 Posts
Taking out the resonator in the driver-side fender will give you the sound like the cone filter. Mostly because the cone filter will bypass the first resonator anyway.

So i guess that's the answer! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
I took out the resonator in the guard. i can definately feel a difference in power. The bottom end is the same as before i think the midrange is down a wee bit cos you feel it pulling along and then when between 3000-3500rpm its a bit gutless but picks up very strongly after that. it actually goes to redline instead of running out of puff after 5000rpm like before. The small flat spot isnt that bad thou cos i have really short gearing ie 60kph in 2nd =5000rpm and 100kph=3500 so when im on the motorway at least im passed the flat spot. lol i cant tell if the intake sound is diff. i think it is but my exhaust is too noisy so il have to get someone to stand on the street while i go passed
@-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts