Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that you can adjust the sensitivity of the steering with something under the drivers seat. you can change it from hign to normal to low or something. Anyways, I could not find a previous post about it and was wondering if I needed to take my seat off as the nuts holding the seat are pretty rusted through. Is it possible to get to it without removing the seat? And switching it to High would give better preformance right?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yes. This can be done, IF you have the MX6 model with Electronically Controlled Power Steering (ECPS)(I believe this is only on GT models, but i'm not sure.) My Mazda shop manual shows a box located inside the car either under the driver's side dash near the fuse box, or under the seat (I can't tell which from the drawing, and my MX6 has Engine Speed Sensing Power Steering (DX Model, has ESPS, not ECPS) ) which has a switch on it. The switch has 2 settings. "H" to select heavier steering effort, and "L" to select lighter steering effort.

[Edited by magik8 on 01-08-2001 at 11:05 PM]

·
Registered
235 Posts
That would make a lot of sense. It would explane why my steering is so stiff it's almost like I have no power steering. I have an 89 LX, I'll look for box that you have been talking about and keep you updated.

Jason
89 LX

·
Registered
32 Posts
on my 90 GT the box is right underneath the driver seat... my bolts werent rusted at all and i was able to unbolt it without removing the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Unfortunately, this mod only applies to GT's. LX's and DX's dont have electronically controlled steering. It is a great mod though. Very effective and free.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Other than the fact that I would have to get the box how would you install that? Would I have to go to the dealer to get it installed or do you think that it's somin easy enough to do with some time and effort

Jason
89 LX

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sorry Pyro, I think you have to have the GT rack for it to work man. I may be wrong though...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Ok. Let me re-iterate this again. You must have an Electronically Controlled Power Steering rack to do this. If you really want to convert over, you would have to replace your rack and p/s pump with the electronically controlled type, as well as add the box. I don't think this would be worth doing, personally.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have an MX6 GT. So can I adjust it without removing the seat? Is the switch on top of the box or on one of the sides.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
No need to remove the seat. Just push the seat all the way front to do the rear bolts, and push the seat back to undo the front bolts and move the box so you can see it easier. The switch is under the little label on the side. Set it to H to get the stiffer steering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts