Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, just looking to pick yer brains.
My MX6 has what I believe to be a factory fitted alarm and imobiliser. I'm looking to take out insurance with Direct Line and they say they want a certificate. I've never been asked for a certificate for a factory fitted alarm and I don't have one. Is it normal for them to ask? Is there any way for me to get hold of one? Direct Line said go to an alarm shop and get them to write a letter but that doesn't sound quite right somehow.
Any help gratefuly received.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i've heard that before, i think its because a lot of people had the factory one disconnected, and replaced with an aftermarket one, so its just they need proof....

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
MazdaGuard alarms were thatcham approved years ago, and are now classed as de-listed.
This shouldn't mean they are not covered with insurance companies..

I had a TK3 immobiliser on my 626, and usually got a discount, even though it was de-listed.

funnily enough, the de-listed gear is still "listed" on the thatcham site, along with approval numbers.

I also doubt you get a thatcham certificate even as the original buyer when new, as it was factory fitted.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
the orginal alarm is proberbly pretty crap...best thing to do is replace it with a decent quality alarm and immobilizor that is thatcham approved.(to be thatcham approved it has to be fitted by a compitant car electrician.....i been fitting a decent system including a trakker to my own mx6 so hopefully it dont go walkabouts..mine wont be thatcham approved as i am fitting it myself to my own car

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
If you just want to get a certificate for the one installed, then a local certificated alarm fitting company can assess the installed alarm and provide a certificate for a nominal fee. I think I paid about £30 for the check on one of mine.

Be aware though, they WILL try to sell you a new alarm.

As for requesting the certificate, a fairly normal thing on sports cars. They like to ensure the car does have at least a decent level of alarm on. I've had to provide it for all my cars so far.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Storm said he could send me a copy of his which would sort it.
If not I think it is new alarm time. My current one is a bit dodgy so I don't want to spend even £30 on proving it exists.

·
Registered
578 Posts
To help answer your question, I actually work for an Insurer that has offices in the UK - competitors to Direct Line...

It is a standard question and is all about getting a lower premium for a lower risk. The standard imm. system in the vehicle is pretty crap but does have a bit of nuisance value for the standard kid who wants to go for a joyride. It is NOT going to stop the serious thief. (Few, if any systems will stop the serious thief)

The Insurer should have an authorised company that does inspections on vehicles and I am sure that a letter from them after inspecting your car would suffice. This should not come at a cost to you though? Ask your insurer for assistance in this regard.

Be aware that you would probably have to show that the immo is "self-activating" ie: If you leave the vehicle, 30 seconds later you would have to push the button to de-activate it... this is for human error (in not activating it) to be ruled out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Don't think my alarm is worth the £30 for the letter though so may have to bring plans for a new one forward.

·
Registered
578 Posts
and you actually admit working the biggest robbing industry going ?? well ok aside the banks......... roflmao... good luck indeed
Without turning this into a flame war...

What work do you do my friend?

Besides, it is people (probably like YOU) that makes insurance companies what they are. People lie, deceive, defraud wherever they can. Why? Because you believe it is a God given right because you pay your hard-earned cash every month and never get anything back... right...

I see all too often comments from people that say things like "if you are in an accident, take off the go-faster parts or the insurers will not pay" etc etc.

What I do for a living is investigate fraud and things like that. I get great joy out of catching people that do it.

Sure, Insurance is a "grudge purchase" but...

If you dont want it, dont have it. only take out balance of 3rd party then.

I just get sick and tired of people slating all insurers and covering all with the same blanket.

What you dont realise, is that Insurance is a business, not a charity.

Contracts are in place for a reason. Fine print is there, yes. all you need to do is READ the fine print. Maybe you cant read???:shrug:

If you declare everything correctly, understand your contract, pay your premium, then NOTHING can go wrong.

/Rant

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Guys,

I think we'll find that Mr Freak was having a wee joke (ROFLMAO = Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off :shrug:) and was not "having a dig".

Anyway - I work for a Bank - what's wrong with that Mr Freak? lol :angel:

'Tis the season and all that.........................bah humbug.

G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts