Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra set of tailights for a 2nd Gen. What type of paint do I need to spray over the yellow turn signal???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks GOOD

I've just finished the lights!! All I have to do is put some clear coat on them and that's it. I'm not sure if I'll do the clearcoat myself or not, but either or, I KNOW it's gonna look tight.

I suggest that anyone looking for a different look try this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
when doing this do you have to do any pre-paint sanding or do you just paint over the existing orange? also do u just paint over the exterior of the lights or do you have to be able to paint the inside of the tail light too, which seems like it would be a real PITA

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red Taillights

I did no sanding before painting the tail lights. What was a pita was taping everything off.

This is what I did.

I masked off the outer areas that were not to be painted. I also covered the reverse light as well.

After painting with the red paint - I used the whole can on both lights (both the amber and red areas). I let the tailights sit for a day and then I put on clear coat.

The clear coat was the biggest pain the ass. After the clear coat I got 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper to smooth down the surface and used a rubbing compond to finish everythign off.

It came out look okay, I sanded a bit too much off in 2 minute areas.

BTW the print of the oem all red tail lights is $120 each from Reobuck Mazda

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey, I just painted my tail sigs today and the first coat went on nice and smooth. However, the second and third coats made it look like there is condensation on them. They are somewhat cloudy. Any of you guys have this problem or does the clear coat take care of this? Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
BOWDWN2MX6 said:
Did you allow the first coat to thouroughly dry before applying the secondary coats?
We have a winner!!! My dad said the same thing. Some spray paints say you can apply another coat once the first one becomes tacky. I guess not this paint. So...how do I get it off without damaging the plastic???

·
Registered
921 Posts
Some non generic paint thinner. Get the expensive stuff, like at a paint store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts