Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SP20 alloys are starting to look a bit shabby due to my street's weird parking (and my own). Anyone recommend any good (reasonable?) alloy repairers in Melbourne?

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
When i bought my 18's they were looking a bit sad also.

So went and got them powdercoated. The best bit was that it filled the imperfections in.

True, its not as smooth as paint, but its quick and simple.
They strip the wheels and coat them. No need for me to do any prep work.

You have a large choice of colours and they even have a metallic looking silver thats close to mag wheel sliver.

·
Registered
206 Posts
cam22t is right. I have seen some really nice powdercoated rims. It will hide any imperfections and may be the cheapest option. I have a powdercoating line in the factory at my work here but havent had any mags done myself.

The powdercoating finish comes out pretty good.

You may find that alloy repairs etc may be a bit expensive depending on the extend of the damage and more of a headache.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just home much is powder coating these days?

A mate of mine had the alloys on his HSV fixed up the scratch marks on it, but that set him back $120 a rim. Pretty pricey but the rims where ready to go up shit creek lols.

Thats in Sydney tho, not Melbourne.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I got my 18's done for 60 bux a wheell.
We had some 15's done also and they cost 50 bux a wheel.

One year later, i pulled onto the grass to let an Ambulance pass and i took out a drainage grate which popped the tire and cracked the mag.
To get the mag welded and balanced, then machined cost me about 130, then i dropped it back off at the powdercoaters to get redone, which cost 60 bux again.

I am more than happy with powdercoat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts