Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just wondering what mods you can do for free or for realy cheap on a 626 turbo.... I've read a post where a guy cut a hole in the bottom of his airbox, is that worth it and can it damage the filter or anything??

Please explain clearly cause I'm not much of a mechanic...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I dont know about cutting a hole in the airbox, never done it, but one neato free mod is to tighten up your steering. The computer for the steering computer is under the drivers seat, bolted to the floor, just unbolt it, and the switch is underneat the sticker that says (l, n, h). You want to set it to high. This will reduce power assist at speeds and make the car a little more responsive and increase road feel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thats awesome, I never knew that!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yah, I have a GT and it works.

What does this acutally do though? It seems to make it a little tighter at 20mph and up. Does it change the point where the PS helps less? Does it change the PS at idle or slow speeds? What does the High-Normal-Low actually change?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The speed sensitive steering only takes effect after 6mph, so for parking it will be the same regardless of setting. What the switch does is make the steering tighter above 6mph. and I dont know if this applies to 4ws cars, but it definitely works on FWD and only GT's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the thing with the airbox works wonders. just take the airbox out and put a hole in it. i went to the junkyard to get one just in case i didnt like it but i really do like it. the hole can be made as large or small as you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That speed sensitive computer under the driver seat has a plug which in my car is unpluged and when i plug it back in the box the engine sounds like is gonna start but it doesnt.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
470 Posts
i really want to try that steering cos sounds sweet idea but i live in new zealand and our mx6 are pretty diff to yours in usa etc. first off they are called mazda capella gts c2 (coupe 2dr?). i have a gts which is only 1800 12v efi. we dont get turbo models but yo can get 2.0 16 dohc with 2 or 4ws. also it is right hand drive. i looked under the driver seat and theres a lil black box with a plug goin into it. how do i know if my gts has speed sensitive steering? also, i bought a k&n filter drop in panel type that cost $160nz. it gave me slight performance gain but didnt give me that awesome induction roar that i was hoping for. if i cut a hole i the bottom of the filter box will i get the sound im after?
thanks for any help anyone can give me :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cut a hole in mine... then wondered why my car sucked... then I went through the tedious task of plugging the damned thing up... I think that the air in the engine bay is too warm or something... but I honestly felt the surge from my turbo a lot more after plugging it... then again I might just be telling myself what I want to hear 'cause I hate doing things for no reason.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
The Engine gets so m0f0 hot that cutting a hole in the box shouldn't do anything unless, you have a non turbo and a LARGE hood scoop. You might even want to try INSULATING the box to keep the cold air colder. If you wanna take some time and like to jerry rig, you could try installing a dc 12V fan (60, 80, 92 or 120 mm I'm not sure wich one will work best) to blow cold ari IN. Or just go get Cold air induction (I'm gonna do that soon)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what if its not a turbo/GT model? I've got an LX...will either of those quickie mods work? where on the box would you put a hole, even though i dont think sucking in hot air would work too well. insulating the box sounds better...but with what, and how? and is that steering switch on a non-GT car?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
You could use “clamps “ to lower your Mex
They’re inexpensive and removable and are easy to fit…
The clamps I’m thinking on can be gotten from your haware store; they are used on wire rope and alike.
They consist of a u shaped bolt and a flat plate with too nuts ..
You just, Jack her up, take the wheel off and put a jack under the wishbone and jack that up.
The springs should get close enough together for you to put the clamps strate on. But you may need to use vice grip pliers .
Put as many on as you wont ..the more you put on... the lower she goes!!
It isn’t the best way to lower your car …or even the most legal but it has got to be the cheapest!!!!
Mr. MX6

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.