Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone moved the VAF? I was thinking, why not move the VAF to the front of the car and bolt it directly to the intercooler. With the AC condenser removed and an alternate intercooler there would be enough room do to this. All you'd have to do is some wiring of the VAF. Is this feasible or am I way off base?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
there was a guy who i forgot who it was, that put the vaf right infront before the turbo, he relocated battery and put the filter like right there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i recall seeing a pic of that as well, but i dont remember who's 6 it was either.

·
Registered
514 Posts
might i ask y? the only reason i could see is that it would look cleaner that way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ha ha. ponykillerprobe was in that one.

"im about to break into the hella high 13's pretty soon, but i have nitrous and lots and lots of boost."

ha ha ha.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My 6 is like that, I bought it from mx666ny like that, the airfilter and everything is all the way at the bottom left side of the bumper , its down to the middle of the wheel, but closer to the front, its actually in the bumper, an there are some cuts in the bumper that make the air go directly to the filter. ill take some pictures and post them when I get a chance

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I use a cold air intake pipe from a honda. I found in laying around in one of my ricer friend's garage. Works very well.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
the one problem i had with this set up is...well two, first off its a PAIN to get it into place... like half an hour to just get it there and out of the way of everything else....
the other thing is the air filter gets dirty SO fast... and ya cant drive it in the rain...

i noticed a HUGE power loss when i threw the stock intake back on...(car is getting ready for another engine, its easier to remove stock parts(usually) then modded ones.

-Eric

·
Registered
515 Posts
Interesting idea...so the vaf would measure the pressurized air after the bpv. that means you should be able to run a bov without running *extra* rich & clean up the appearance of the engine bay. It would be worth a try, it wouldn't take too much time to put everything back if it didn't work.

·
Registered
642 Posts
a guy here in australia has his vaf between the throttle body and the intercooler (so the air goes intercooler-pipe-vaf-pipe-throttle body). he was tellin me his car was off the road for at least two weeks, as the thing had to be re-tuned again and again by trial and error. sounds good though! that is a common mod for vl turbos here in australia (except they have an afm not a vaf, so it makes it easier for them).

on a personal note, i extended my vaf wires and placed it directly infront of the turbo. from the end of my pod filter to the beginning of my turbo is about 12inches. makes a cool induction noise and it breathes a hell of alot easier. i really need a digital cam to get some pics up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts