Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the AAS motor out. I took some pictures and video of it. It turns 120° with a stop in the middle. Can you think of a good use for one or all of these motors?

·
Registered
897 Posts
could possibly be TOO close up. Having never seen one out of the car, it's kinda hard to picture it's relative size.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, here's a better picture. It's next to the rear strut. I have it screwed in so when I taped it, it would stay in place. Below is the video. It's the same, just one is 320x240 and the other is 160x120. The link may be bad. This is linked off my home computer right now. I'll try and find webspace for it later.

http://panther37.ath.cx/pics/mx6/AAS_Motor-142_4262.AVI (3.7mb) (Dead)
http://panther37.ath.cx/pics/mx6/AAS_Motor-142_4263.AVI (1.3mb) (Dead)
http://www.geocities.com/pantha_37/mx6/aas/AAS_Motor-142_4263.AVI (1.3mb) (Good)

·
Registered
897 Posts
:E I downloaded the video...didn't notice much but the screw in the middle turning.

But...play it in WMP and double the speed...VERY funny stuff when it's played with a chipmunk voice. :p

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
about how much torque would you say they have.. that woudl make a big difference into what you could use it for... perhaps if it has enough torque.. it could be used to unlatch the rear seats.. as its a PITA to reach back when you forgot.. from the drivers seat. who knows.. ill try to think up more uses....

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
I'd make a little coffee stirrer -- I hate it when you go through the drive through at Tim Horton's and they just dump in the sugar and don't stir it and you find it all in the last gulp.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SeVeN X7X said:
about how much torque would you say they have.. that woudl make a big difference into what you could use it for... perhaps if it has enough torque.. it could be used to unlatch the rear seats.. as its a PITA to reach back when you forgot.. from the drivers seat. who knows.. ill try to think up more uses....
I think they have enough torque for that. I mean look @ the size motor for what it does. It has to be able to turn the AAS rod inside the strut.

·
Registered
737 Posts
SleepCounter said:
I'd make a little coffee stirrer -- I hate it when you go through the drive through at Tim Horton's and they just dump in the sugar and don't stir it and you find it all in the last gulp.
At least you get a Tim Horton's, I love their donuts, I guess we don't have any good donut places around here though. Tim Horton's is my first stop when I go to Canada.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Does the motor have any internal stops, or does it just turn freely, so the car AAS system has to know which way and how far to turn it?

If it rotates freely then it is easier to find an application...

Japanese style folding side mirrors? Motorized visors (just for WOW factor, of course...wow I'm lazy...)? Motorized golve box? Just off the top of my head...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Could you hook it up to some sort of semi manual/electronic boost controller and use the existing 3 button setup for 3 boost settings?

·
Registered
737 Posts
CraZyOne has kind of a good idea. If you eliminate the AAS system all together you could use your 3 buttons used to controll the AAS to control setting on a EBC. That's a pretty good idea, use what you have. Of course eliminating the AAS meaning if it's faulty or you are going to a different suspension set-up. I didn't mean to just eliminate it to use the buttons. Just didn't want a newbie to pull them off and use the buttons cause it would be "cool"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is there a way to modify the AAS to have a tighter setting? You know kinda of like having a race suspension in it? Imagine if you had a setting for drag and your rear AAS almast locked up the rearend so you don't have any rear weight transfer. Maybe improve the 60 ft time? Or corner better?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Could you hook it up to some sort of semi manual/electronic boost controller and use the existing 3 button setup for 3 boost settings?
That is a good idea. If 1 turn on a boost controller is 1psi and it spins 120* 3 settings would only be about 1psi, maybe slightly more............right??

Maybe stronger sunrood motor, even better window motors

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Hrmm.. Prehaps it might make a good door stopper. Or paperweight. :)

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
poor man's launch control

I think I might just try one out on my throttle linkage -- just slap it on the end of the throttle shaft (alongside the pulley thing that the cable turns) and have an instant (consistent) switchable 4000 (or pick your speed) rpm "idle" for consistent launches and consistent times (when racing brackets at the strip).

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
SleepCounter said:
I think I might just try one out on my throttle linkage -- just slap it on the end of the throttle shaft (alongside the pulley thing that the cable turns) and have an instant (consistent) switchable 4000 (or pick your speed) rpm "idle" for consistent launches and consistent times (when racing brackets at the strip).
Not a bad idea, but you would have to find a way to disable it to change the throttle. There would have to be a "Free" setting and then the "4k launch" setting. Im not sure if it could spin freely?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts