Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this thread here in case you've not seen it.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141286&page=1&pp=20

Basically, it's a thread on how the Protege/Protege 5 rear brake calipers will fit the 6 and even increase braklng a little as the pads a slightly larger. This could eliminate the seizing caliper problem.

Not sure what the Protege is called over here though... But if they fit, then it opens up more possibilities, as there is a big brake kit for them and it's cheaper than the ones for the MX6.

Front calipers also fit, but no difference as they use the same pads as we do.

Karma to the guy who discovered it.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Yeah Gav, been following ths one too, straight swap, extra pad connection on the disc.
My only question on this mod is one of heat. Obviously the rear pads only get used when you exceed the set bios setting for how hard you press the peddle and dont get used as hard as the front. But if your one for ragging your 6 everywhere and are heavy on the brakes, then the fact the rear discs are not vented my cause possible overheat and warpage ? May be totally wrong and all will be ok, only use over time will dispell this question
I'm not trying to diss the mod, for the everyday 6 driver its great if not brilliant, I just think this also needs to be looked at.
The picture they put up to answer your question, looks very much like the early re-shaped mx3, of which they say the protege was replaced with over there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Uprated rear brakes are a waste of time! The rears don't even approach their full power capacity no matter how hard you press the peddle. It's the fronts you need to uprate.
The only thing I would change on the rear would be to have seperate handbrake drums like on a celica.

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
Hot Cheese said:
I think the Protege5 is our 323F. The last 323F that is, 98+.
It's the BJ model. My wife has the same!

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Postal Dude said:
Uprated rear brakes are a waste of time! The rears don't even approach their full power capacity no matter how hard you press the peddle. It's the fronts you need to uprate.
The only thing I would change on the rear would be to have seperate handbrake drums like on a celica.

Gerry
The main reason for this upgrade is not one of more stopping power, its to resolve the well known issue of the rear calipers sticking / siezing.... thats what makes this mod more appealing to the masses.

Oddy.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The front calipers are identical to ours.. (checked the parts catalogue)
This confirms what they are saying...

The rears look very similar to ours, and while checking the parts catalogue, I noticed a BIG difference..

Ours are about £130 + vat
those are £235 + vat :freak:

what are Mazda playing at here??? they are virtually the same caliper.

John

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look through the thread there are some pics of both calipers side by side... Whilst the fitting is the same and the pads a slightly larger... The caliper itself is huge in comparison... I'm not suggesting buying a new part but if you come across one in a scrappy it's worth grabbing them.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Sorry to bring this back to life, but I'm the originator and this post came up when I searched out of curiousity to see what the masses of people were doing with this new found info.

To answer all your questions, it is actually an upgrade for both performance and maintainence issues. I autox and I find that the car is far more level and planted now under heavy braking, which is ideal for performance driving. A car that transfers as much weight as the MX6 does under braking in or before a turn will understeer, thus you loose the ability to sucessfully make the turn properly. Buy adding that extra 1/4" to the rear braking surface, the car is more planted, thus not as much weight is transfered to the front of the car during heavy braking, allowing a greater ability to handle the corner.

As for heat issues, there are none. I have put them through some tough tests and they come out on top! So don't worry about that.

Good luck on the swap all! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to answer!
And on a side note...glad to see this is getting use by all the MX6'ers in the world!

-Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts