Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
A/C fan running too slow - 1st thing I noticed.
Turn signal dashboard indicators not working but I could hear the delay switch clicking - 2nd thing I noticed.
Power windows operating very slow - third thing.
Misfiring or at least very rough running/lurching - fourth thing.
Stepping on brakes drops RPMs, car stalls - fifth thing.
If car runs, use of any device: windows, brakes, blower fan, etc., RPMs drop, car stalls - sixth thing.
Car will not restart, just that annoying clicking- seventh thing.
Battery replaced, all is well - eighth thing.

Battery, alternator - can anyone tell?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Put a volt meter across the battery if your getting 13.2v after running it (no accessories) for 10 min @ 1800rpm then its your battery. If your not getting 13.2v minimum then its the alt (or regulator).

Also if you get greater than 14.6v at revs then its the regulator.

I assume putting the new battery in didn't fix the problems so chances are, if the hassles are still happening, its the alt/reg.

GL

Wòó

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you do need a new alternator, or the regulator is shot like mine was, look into Auto Zone if there's any by you. I just got a refurb alt for $105. It wasnt worth replacing just the regulator.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd say you have a couple of problems...

Does the relay with your turn signals click faster than normal (and is it both or just one)? If so, it's probably just a bad bulb. Those bulbs take nearly no power to operate, so I seriously doubt it has to do with a bad battery or alternator, if they were that bad you probably wouldn't even start.

As far as your windows going slow, a couple of guys here have used some silicon spray or something to help the glide and it's done very well.

I'm also wondering about the alternators on these cars. I've gone through something like 5 batteries in 6 years, and I really think my alternator's a piece of crap and not charging the battery properly. Sometimes when I start the car (especially if it's a little cold) my battery light comes on until I rev the engine (which should charge the battery). I know I've heard some other weird stories from people regarding their electrics, but I could just be a little nuts, too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Replacing the battery appears to have solved my problem... The car is running fine. However, I still suffer from the slow(er) wipers and windows, which is something that has plaqued me for quite some time.

I'm contemplating just changing out the alternator to see what effect it will have (afterall, it is 12 years old). Nonetheless, everything seems to be running normally, if not good.

I'm planning on picking up a volt meter and running a check as Woo suggested... Can anyone recommend a meter brand and model?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Fluke multi-meters are generally regarded as top notch, but if you just want it for checking out voltages on your car and little things I wouldn't spend the bucks for one. I'd recommend a cheap one from Radio Shack or something. All you'll probably get use out of would be an ohm meter and voltage meter, and a diode checker would be good to check shorts (will give you a little beep). I doubt I'd even worry about current unless it's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Current and voltage

Just wonderer whats the stock current and voltage rating of your alternators

My car has a 70 A unit and the workshop books says 14,4V to 14,7V as the proper charging voltage but this migth be for cold climate models like the Norwegian cars anyway usual life length for a battery in a 626 should be atleast 5 years and up to 8 years should not be impossible

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know the specs on the alternators, but my battery life has certainly been horrible. Everytime I return it I get the same song and dance about how harsh the weather is with the quick rises and drops we get in temperature 'this time of year'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts