Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on the way to my friends last night my car volts started to decline from the middle of normal (12V) to 11.. 10... 9... boom car was dead, the alternator took a pooper (Well after the camshaft oil seal went out and dosed my cars engine bay with oil the alternator caught most of it)

So luckily he had a spare, he drove over and we installed it in a parking lot.

Well now there are some issues.

The vacuum on my evc used to read 489ish, now its 400ish, so it lost a good amount of vacuum. (Bad voltage = bad spark = bad vacuum?)

When I drive, the car is jerky and the lights dim from high to low, and my voltmeter on my turbo timer sweeps from 14.0-16.0v (And the voltmeter on the odometer waves at me like its saying hello!)

So is the alternator we put in bad? (Which it was working and was off an 80k mile car) Or am I experiencing something else?

Granted I havent looked at it, but I am off all day today, going to be fully cleaning the engine bay, car, installing stuff, and wanted to put this on here incase I dont figure out whats wrong.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
check to make sure you didn't break a vaccum line.

other than that make sure your alt and battery connections are good. if not they can sense weird things and make it fluctuate.

·
Registered
200 Posts
first and foremost thing you HAVE to address is the oil leak. The alternator on my cressida caught fire when my seals went and drenched the alternator with oil. Be VERY careful with this. I know by experience.
Other than that chck to make sure your alternator is putting out the voltage it is supposed to. and check the connections to make sure they are not dirty (with oil)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Dude you are just having issues with that :sigh:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:shrug:

At least everything is getting fixed correctly... Still need to get a GT head (cause at some point in the cars life it had a non-turbo head put on :sigh:), front windshield, and the brakes are bad, but I am guessing the starter or fuel pump will go out next, they are the only things that havent been replaced that have to do with the car working properly since I have had it, lets hope the tranny holds up for a little while to.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
:shrug:

At least everything is getting fixed correctly... Still need to get a GT head (cause at some point in the cars life it had a non-turbo head put on :sigh:), front windshield, and the brakes are bad, but I am guessing the starter or fuel pump will go out next, they are the only things that havent been replaced that have to do with the car working properly since I have had it, lets hope the tranny holds up for a little while to.
Half of the exhaust valves in my head are N/A...I'm not suffering from any issues :shrug: Shouldn't matter that much. For fuel pump, I'd pick up a Walbro 190 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts