Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I start th 92 MX6 Turbo that the charge and antilock lights stay on till the car is rev'ed past 1500. I then tested the charge at the battery. The battery by itself is putting out 12.5volts. When I start the car and let it idle it is still oly 12.5 till I rev the car pas 1500 then it will go up to 13.5. (and the charge light on the dash goes out)

Ok, so I know that the alternator is not charging now for whatever reason till the car hits 1500 rpm or higher and then it will stay charging. I tested the belt to make sure that it was tight, and it seems that it is. Also after I tightened the belt it still takes the alternator 1500rpm till it starts charging. Question, so is the alternator on the way out or does anyone think it is the belt, connector or something else?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep!

Your alternator is. The alternator should be putting out like 14+ volts. Try testing it with everything on, A/C on high, highbeams, rear defrost, radio, fog lights, not the wipers though. Then run the motor at 2000rpm. See if the volts are still at least 13.5. If not, your alternator is going out. Better to do ASAP before you drain out your battery also or you'll be paying like $200+ for it all to be done by yourself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dunno

I'm not really sure what it going to cost on the alternator. What I tried to say is that adding the alt and battery together you'll be like at 200+. I get my parts at cost so my price will be different from yours. I haven't replaced mine yet so I don't know $.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$91 for a rebuilt alternator from Autozone, and about 1hr to remove the old one and put in the new one. Once I had my old one out I was able to see what killed it.

Before I purchased the car, the previous owner said that the passenger CV went out. This caused all sorts of grease to penetrate the alternator. When I took out the old one it was dripping in axle grease. Anyways, this may be one reason our cars tend to go through a lot of these. If you let your passenger side CV boots good, you might expect to be replacing the alternator soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts