Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I've got some alternator whine coming through my amp. :( I've got the power wire run along the drivers side of the car and the RCA cables (amp and speaker preamp for rear 6x8's) on the passenger side. I've got both run to a 1000 watt 4 ch Pyle amp (Nice enough, and I got it for practically nothing) pushing a Bazooka 10" sub. With just the sub inputs plugged in, there's no whine, but as soon as i plug the feed for the back speakers into the amps other channel, it whines like crazy. Although, at that point, if i pull the feed wires for the amp, the whine stops as well. So, either set can be plugged in without whine, but not both. Also, I've grounded my amp to the lower bolt that holds the power antenna in place. It was an unpainted surface, so i figured that'd work. I'm new this stuff, so any help would be appreciated. if there's any more info y'all need, let me know. Thanks.

Trent

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might have to try that. Actually, that ground was a second attempt. My first attempt was one of the bolts for the trunk hinge. Oh, by the way, on my attempt to retighten the nut on said bolt after removing the ground wire, i accidentally overtorqued it and broke it in half. This required me to remove the hinge and drill out the welded on stud to replace it with a normal bolt. I swear mazda must make their bolts out of lead. This is the second bolt on this car i've broken, the first being the alternator belt tensioner bolt (btw $12 from the dealer for a fricken bolt) and it's not like i'm not careful! Oh, also, when my friend initially installed this setup, he taped all the wires together, so i had to cut the tape to get the power wire free so i could move it to the opposite side of the car. I used a snap-blade knife that came with a little k-mart tool kit of mine and managed to cut the bejezus out of my ring finger! I swear that thing must be surgical sharp! Knowing my luck, I'd probably hit my gas tank with one of those self-tapping screws and burn my car to the ground :p , but i guess that's my last option. Thanks for the advice.

Trent

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I'm willing to bet that you have 2 different brands or types of RCA cable going from your deck to your amp, maybe even different lengths. ;)

Depending on the deck and/or amp, the difference in resistance between the RCA cables can cause feedback in the decks preamp section. Weird but true....

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
isnt there some type of ground loop for the rcas that you can buy? i had this same problem with amplifying 2 6x9's... I got irratated with it and sold the entire set up.

btw.. Pyle's are exactly what there name is, PILES.:D i baught a pyle sub once..it claimed it was 1000wt, i hooked it up to my 2 channel american bass 600wt amp and it smoked the sub up in 2 hits.. and i had the amp completly turned down.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i bought some good shielded RCA's, and a ground loop module. $40 later..............and i've still got noise. : ( I think it must be that stupid amp. Yeah, i hear ya on Pyle's cheap quality. I'm also beginning to think that the only way that amp will ever push 1000 watts is if it's hit by lightning. >: (

Trent

·
Registered
82 Posts
are the rcas diffent lenghts? like stated before... if so the electity will follow the path of less resistance and wont flow evenly threw both.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
atleast im not the only one experiencing this, did you ever figure this out trent?

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep. turns out it wasn't alternator whine, but noise coming off the distributor. if you look at the distributor, there is a small black capacitor pack that attaches the side of it. It apparently functions as a noise cancellation device. The wire going to it had somehow become disconnected, so i rigged it back up, and no more noise.

Reactions: zlyricist
1 - 10 of 10 Posts