Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to change the alternator. Any tips pics or directions on changing it.

G

·
alternator

I changed mine on my 89 mx6 yesterday. easy. i have a 2.2l turbo, so if your car is the same as mine, it should be easy also. from the passanger side of the car you can see the first bolt to losen. it adjusts the alternator so the drive belt is taunt. its about four inches long, loosen this bolt first(assuming you disconnected the battery.) this bolt goes through a steel block with another bolt which is threaded thru the block and into the alt. loosen this bolt until it is no longer threaded into the alt. remove both bolts and the block. next, there is a wire and a plug to remove, squeeze the plug and remove. the wire is held onto a stud by a nut , remove the nut and remove the wire. next remove the drive belt from the alt. last, there is a bolt on the bottom of the alt. which has to be removed. to get the alt. out, you may have to move a black plastic cilinder,(if you have the same car, youll see it, on the firewall,) dont know what it is, but it just slides out of the bracket. this should give you enouge room to remove and install the new alt. installation is reverse, hope i helped

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it done a while ago. I just removed the EGR valve and that gave me enough room to pull it straight out. Thanks though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts