Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got OWN3D.....

My wife and i went out to play--- her altima has not really been beaten by much... so i wanted to see how the Stock 89GT held up.

From a second gear roll she pulled 5 cars up to 100 MPH.

From a light she owned me... 3 cars... closer, but still nto great.

Havent had her car (altima) to the track yet, but i know that it "should be" in the high 14's...

A chip and a boost controller seems in order to me!

·
Registered
744 Posts
When I first got my probe turbo'd I was barely beating one of those from a roll, so they must have at least 220 at the wheels goig by how heavy those cars are. Nissans are very nice rides and I would totally pim pone of those new altimas. In one of the turbo mags I had they had a car called the "unltimate altima" and it was pretty cool. It made something like 250 whp with a dual axle back exhaust..NOT BAD! I love the altimas and may get one for a daily driver some day :shrug:

Dan

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had the older 1996 5speed, Altima GXE, with the 16V, and DOHC, and let me tell you for a hevy car that thing hulled ass, so I can just imagine what the newer Altima's with the bigger motors can do.

methman

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
Methman said:
I had the older 1996 5speed, Altima GXE, with the 16V, and DOHC, and let me tell you for a hevy car that thing hulled ass, so I can just imagine what the newer Altima's with the bigger motors can do.

methman
i hate to start arguments hear, but the older altimas were pigs. they weighed 3000+ pounds, and had 140 horsepower. so you are saying that a high 16 second quarter mile is "hauling ass"? i was very surprised that nissan even opted to keep the same name, seeing as the car went from having no balls, to lotsa balls!

·
Registered
264 Posts
isnt this altima's engine the "same basic" detuned version of the vq35de that is in the 350z, new maxima, and infiniti g35(s)? im just wonderin.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
wrx6 said:
isnt this altima's engine the "same basic" detuned version of the vq35de that is in the 350z, new maxima, and infiniti g35(s)? im just wonderin.
"detuned" is exactly right.

i know many an altima (new) owner (at least when they and the previous gen maxima were rolling off the same lines) that were dynoing dead on with the new maxima, despite the claimed 15hp less.

its the VQ 3.5L block, which has amazing potential :)

the older altima did share the 240's 4 cyl, but was also "detuned"

that said - i drove a friends altima, then maybe a year old, on a road trip.. and the ****er couldnt make it up hills with just me, him, and our luggage. i was flooring it in 4th to maintain 75mph up a long hill with traffic going by

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
Goatcrapp said:
[B

that said - i drove a friends altima, then maybe a year old, on a road trip.. and the ****er couldnt make it up hills with just me, him, and our luggage. i was flooring it in 4th to maintain 75mph up a long hill with traffic going by [/B]
my thoughts exactly. when i was 15 my mom was looking at cars for me and we testdrove a 2 year old altima. it had sunroof, leather, ect... but it was such a slug. i dont think it could accelerate up a hill to save my life

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah- hers is no slouch and she can drive the **** out of it.

Worse comes to worse though- i can always take the mustang out and then she is the one who gets owned...

Fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what!?

sorry but i gotta stick up for my old car. i used to drive a 94 altima SE with a 5 speed. i'll admit the 93-97 altimas with autos give good competition to riced civics, but the 94+ 5 speed SE models can run decent times. the 94+ SEs were quicker off the line than other trims because it had a shorter final drive. with basic mods i've seen a few run mid to high 15's. also, the ka24de engine is really sensitive if not tuned up frequently. it is also common for the ignition timing to get screwed up which dramatically dropped power because of the knock sensor interfering. sorry again but i just had to defend my old alty.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll stick up for the altima, all around great car. I have a 2004 5 speed 2.5S altima and that thing is no slouch. Lot faster then my previous 2.0 MX6 is an understatement. I didn't redline it, i didn't ever take it over 4000 RPM and it still pulls at low RPM's. Plus it makes 180 ft/lb of torque which is amazing out of a 2.5 4 banger that gets 30 mpg easily on the highway. Is it a fast car... no but it sure is quick for a car it's size with a 4 banger in it. I will not even compare my MX6's roomieness to the Altima's :E. I'm still a MX6 lover thou and would still drive one if it wouldn't be for that engine that decided to spit out blue smoke (and i babied that thing :( )

-Bart

P.S. does anyone know what a stock altima runs in the 1/4

·
Registered
15 Posts
well i guess "decent" was too vague considering everyone has a different opinion as to what a "decent" time is for a certain car. as for what i mean by decent times, anywhere between 15.6 and 15.9 or so with just i/h/e (for 93-97). of course, these are really only possible under good circumstances. that's what i think is decent anyway considering what a stock altima runs.

as for the the stock 1/4 mile time, i assume you mean for the manual 2.5s. motor trend got a [email protected] with an auto 03 2.5s but i don't know about the times for a 5 speed though. now for the 3.5 SE (i so wish i had one) motor trend got [email protected] with the 5 speed and [email protected] with an auto.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys- just an update-

I gotta get my chip... because i started reeling the car in in 3rd and BAMMO Boostcut.

This was with just the 2.5" exhaust and a CAI.

Chipped , i think the wife is in trouble!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts