Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to remove my rear spoiler and replace it with a lightweight aluminium spoiler to save weight. The car doesn't look to good without a spoiler. Anyone seen one of these on a MX-6?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
don't think u will save much weight with that!!

and its a bit chavy!

don't think it will help ur aero. either

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Won't do a thing for speed or handling, except slow you down due to increased drag. A proper spoiler is there to aid downforce... that's what the original spoiler was designed to do. Adding an off the shelf type will actually make the car slower... Fine for driving around town looking like a chav... not so great for a track day car like yours.

Besides, the original spoiler is actually very light, seeing as it's hollow fibreglass.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd be careful you dont end up like the 'bolt-on' brigade, with no actual results.

I'm not sure these cars need massive down force on the back - they should respond better to suspension mods - which it looks like you've already done.

I think if you stick one of these on you could instantly half the value of the car, unless you want track use only and you have it calculated for use with a certain set up i would be careful ?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
put it on.. put it on...

I have a vested interest in the std spoiler :)

There was a grey 6 on the board a while ago with something similar on... I'm not a fan of them.
As Heckler has said, it'll probably end up creating more drag than downforce.

Russ

closest I can find so far.
http://pakfeifertuning.com/store/images/mx6/mx6_1.jpg

I found the thread with the grey one and CF spoiler, but his pics were missing

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that would be the response... I was thinking the same myself but wanted to confirm it. The aluminium spoilers weight about 2.5 Kgs. Does anyone know what the std ones weigh?

·
Registered
822 Posts
if you want to save weight....
1, go on a diet - F! drivers do!
2, strip out the seats!
3, get ultra light weight wheels

but hell dont get a alli spoiler, these are for vauxuals and old fords!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I going to strip every gram that I can off the car. This is what I'll be starting with:-

Remove complete interior excluding headllining.
Replace seats with carbonfibre bucket seats, harness and roll cage
remove aircon
remove ABS
replace side and rear glass with lexan
Big front brake upgrade
lightweight Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 Black wheels with intermediate slicks
SS headers, remove cat

If anyone can think of any other weight saving measures let me know..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Piers ,

Saw a company a while back selling carbon wings and bonnet , think it was called 9N9 and was based in Asia ...

Carbon bonnet would take away a nice bit of weight , not sure about the wings as the standard ones are only thin sheet metal ..

You coud also replace the fuel tank with one of the smaller racing tanks as its not a daily driver ..

Hears a link http://www.9n9.com.tw ..
From the pic it looks like the bonnet would aid cooling aswell .

·
Registered
822 Posts
so i guess the two 18 subs and 2000w amp have got to go eh? bummer! Hey how about filling the indide of the car with a giant air bag and filling with helium? ( wife / G.F / mother in law not advised!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sunjoy said:
You could also replace the fuel tank with one of the smaller racing tanks as its not a daily driver ...
I think I need a bigger fuel tank not a smaller one... I start the trackdays with a full tank of fuel and have to nip out to a garage at lunchtime for a refill!

My modded 200SX and 180SX use a lot less fuel!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts