Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All Whats up? My names Kev.....After Driving Trans Ams All My Life I decided to purchase my first MX6 today. Im used to doing work on my car and having fast cars but because of reliability factors I was kinda forced to buy an Import.
The car Im getting is a MX6 5speed with 49,000 miles. From my experiance on TA's adding a new intake,wider throttle body, headers exhaust and chip should give me atleast 35HP pushing me over the 200HP mark. Im looking to get the car over 200 with bolt ons. The car is about 600Lbs lighter than my trans am so getting it to that kinda speed shouldnt be too hard...
Im not looking to make the car into a race car, just something with a little more power to it.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
OrigoTA said:
Hey All Whats up? My names Kev.....After Driving Trans Ams All My Life I decided to purchase my first MX6 today. Im used to doing work on my car and having fast cars but because of reliability factors I was kinda forced to buy an Import.
The car Im getting is a MX6 5speed with 49,000 miles. From my experiance on TA's adding a new intake,wider throttle body, headers exhaust and chip should give me atleast 35HP pushing me over the 200HP mark. Im looking to get the car over 200 with bolt ons. The car is about 600Lbs lighter than my trans am so getting it to that kinda speed shouldnt be too hard...
Im not looking to make the car into a race car, just something with a little more power to it.
Congrats on the MX6.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get to 200HP with those mods. For various reasons (intake manifold, camshafts, compression ratio, cylinder head ports etc) the KL03 V6 doesn't respond quite as well to the traditional bolt-ons as other cars do. With those mods, I'd expect you'll be in the 155(wheel)HP range, which translates to about 185HP at the crank. Pretty respectable (+20HP) but still 15HP shy of 200.

If you want that extra 15, the manifold will need to be ported and you'll probably have to consider cams.

So you know, there is a 200HP version of the V6 around. It's called the "KLZE" and was sold in non-North American markets in several models. It's got 10:1 (versus the KL03s 9.2:1) compression, better cams, bigger ports in the heads and a much better (for high RPM breathing) intake manifold. Several outfits are importing these engines (used) and selling them for something between $1500 and $2500 (give or take.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do decide to get your TB widened, go over to http://www.probetalk.com and look for a guy named RAW POWER. He will port and polish the intake manifold, widen the TB, match the intake inlet to the TB, and powdercoat everything for around $300. If I were you though I'd think about the japanese version of the 2.5 L V6. It comes with 200 hp right off the bat and can be had for about $1400. You'll get instant mid 14 sec 1/4 mile times with that engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
To answer your question...

NO, you are not a rice boy now that you drive a MX6. HONDA drivers are Rice Boys...hehe

·
Registered
806 Posts
The KL03(the US version 2.5L) MX-6's/PGT's with headers, cold air intake, and CatBack make somewhere around 150-160hp at the wheel. There are turbo and super chargers available from Thomas Knight, but they range from about 3-4K. He's at http://www.geocities.com/knightturbos/promaz.html. The Stage 3 heads will give you about 5-7hp and the stage 5 intake manifold port'n'polish will give you about 5-10. I think I saw someone say it was more like 15-20hp for the 5 angle valve job totally rebuilt and fully ported, not 5-7hp. I have never seen any dynos to back this up. There isn't a strong aftermarket making parts for our cars, but there are some available. The interesting thing is the ProbeGT and MX-6 community designing and producing many of our own mods, ie. Phenolic spacers done by Sean Morgan. No you are not a ricer, but anyone can be a ricer in my opinion. You could rice out a Trans Am for that matter, with stickers, incorrect badging, tons of fogs, you get the picture. Welcome to the community and yes you can make the six respectable.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
syliconex said:
How does one go about porting the heads?
They/it will need to be removed and disassembled. Then, the ports are cleaned up, opened slightly and maybe polished with a grinder or other rotary tool. It's a similar process to porting an intake manifold.

That would be a good time to get a 3 (or more ) angle valve job done too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay scooby, about the rice boy thing, alright what is the deal with hondas???? Hondas suck ok, i hate hondas, i used to have an accord, it blew the rod out the side of the engine like four days after i got it tagged, anyhow, my names hondarider b/c i race motocross not the car, anyhow i am a former 2nd gen mazda owner and i have a really good friend who still drives a 1st gen mazda 6 with lots of work done to it, i now own a nissan but whats the deal with parts?? My friend can't find hardly any performance parts for his car, and me i can't find just about near nothing for my 240sx, s13, Honda guys get all the parts they want. Is this because they actually need the parts to keep up the mazda and nissan drivers? whats the deal!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
my opinion on hondas

i'll probably be outcast for saying this, but whatever. hondas are not that bad. don't get me wrong, i love my car. i like that i drive something different. but last time i checked, mod'ed hondas are some of the fastest ones out there. mazda has the rx-7, and they race that, not ours. yeah its possible, but the parts are few and far between. i hate to say it but my friend's soop'ed up 92 prelude is faster than mine, by far.

one of the reasons that hondas have so many more parts is that the honda engines deal with the mods better than ours do. slap headers on a 92 prelude and you're looking at like 12 hp gain, but not so on ours. i put the hks intake on my car and it messed up my idle speed.

in short i guess what i'm saying is that hondas aren't terrible cars. they give me something to try and be faster than. we shouldn't shun our fellow import family, its the american cars we're not supposed to like.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FINALLY. Someone else on this board that will help me defend the small percentile of respectable Honda owners!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
DWirth769 said:
FINALLY. Someone else on this board that will help me defend the small percentile of respectable Honda owners!
Count me in too. I have respect for any fast car, be it a 9-second drag Civic, a 14-second Type-R, a ZO6, an MX6 or PGT etc. If it's fast in a straight and/or handles like crazy, I'll like it.

I may not agree with some peoples taste in accessories or sense of style with vinyl graphics, clear-corners, neons etc, but you have to respect a car, any car, that gets the job done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts