Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think so !!!

My cambelt, water pump and cambelt tensioner were last changed on Oct 16th 2007 at 103287 miles by Nick Clulee in Leeds.

When I was in the States this early summer, I bought a Mazda tensioner & waterpump (cos the savings are considerable). The belt was not much cheaper and would have been difficult to pack so I will get a Mazda one here.

The present mileage is 116380 so I have covered just 13093 miles in 5 years and 10 months.

Mazda say change the belt every 54000 miles but don't mention anything about time.

I know it's a non-interference engine but I read this which concurs with what my local Mazda dealer said. Changing your car's timing belt and water pump

All of the FS series engines are non-interference ;) Which means yes, your engine is non interference. The same goes for the 6cyl KL-DE engines with one exception. If you don't keep up on maintenance and allow carbon build up - the tolerances are high enough that carbon build up can cause piston - valve interference.

So when I get the clutch done very soon, I will get the cambelt changed too ( and the tensioner/water pump ) although the mileage is minimal since it was last done in 2007.

Do you think that I am being safe rather than being sorry?

PS. I had my oil and filter changed earlier at my local MOT shop in Addlestone. Richard and I are getting too long in the tooth these days to do this type of job anymore .... :cry:

I get my oil from Opie Oils and use Fuchs (rebranded from Silkolene) Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 plus Mazda filter of course.

Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil For High Performance Engines

It's a great oil and I love the smell of the Ester. It reminds me of good old Castrol 'R' racing oil.

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the timing belt until you hit the 100,000 mile mark on the new one or until you hit 10 years. I changed mine at that mileage and it came out looking just fine. A lot of the newer Hondas recommend that mileage interval for a change as well.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

100,000 miles ???? So when the car has done 203000 miles !!!

With the number of miles I do, that will be years away ... ;)

So you feel the belt should be changed in the fall of 2017 ???

Take care

Paula

PS. Two of the guys on the UK Probe Owners Club forum with the same engine said:

1) Usually 5 years........tbh i've let mine go over the time as i'm not doing the miles at all,any previous belts that came off were like new so i'm not worrying too much about it unless i start using it more.

2) Did mine after 8 years of ownership and probably about 10 years. The belt looked like new.

I wouldn't worry about the timing belt until you hit the 100,000 mile mark on the new one or until you hit 10 years. I changed mine at that mileage and it came out looking just fine. A lot of the newer Hondas recommend that mileage interval for a change as well.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I think this is one of those situations that require two ways of looking at it.

1- If you are running your car every day then the recommended 50,000 miles would come around in about five years.

2- If your car isn’t run every day and is laid up most of the winter 50,000 miles would take a long time to come around, but a cam belt sitting in one position for that amount of time wouldn’t do it any good (the same as sitting on its tyres in one position) so I would think that in this situation you should still change the cam belt every five years regardless of the milage.

Mark

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
This. I've put 35k miles on the current belt in the last 5 years, most of which has been driving to and from a race track to go racing. Looks great, just now considering changing it, only because it's seen a LOT more high rpm use and heat than your average street driven car. ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I put in a timing belt kit at 60,000 miles (timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, 3 pulleys).

When I took the car apart, the existing timing belt looked like new. I kept it for possible use again...

It took me about 8 years normal driving to accumulate this mileage.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiya Mark,

Hope things are good ...:tup:

When I am not running BaBaKa on the road in the winter, I drive it around the service road where I live just to keep things moving.

Difficult one eh?

Take care

Paula

I think this is one of those situations that require two ways of looking at it.

1- If you are running your car every day then the recommended 50,000 miles would come around in about five years.

2- If your car isn’t run every day and is laid up most of the winter 50,000 miles would take a long time to come around, but a cam belt sitting in one position for that amount of time wouldn’t do it any good (the same as sitting on its tyres in one position) so I would think that in this situation you should still change the cam belt every five years regardless of the milage.

Mark

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks for your post ... :)

I put in a timing belt kit at 60,000 miles (timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, 3 pulleys).

When I took the car apart, the existing timing belt looked like new. I kept it for possible use again...

It took me about 8 years normal driving to accumulate this mileage.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya,

Thank you for your reply, it seems that I am being a bit conservative changing my belt right now.

Happy racing.

Paula

This. I've put 35k miles on the current belt in the last 5 years, most of which has been driving to and from a race track to go racing. Looks great, just now considering changing it, only because it's seen a LOT more high rpm use and heat than your average street driven car. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
Christ I hate it when the timing belt goes!!!
Elmer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts