Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow owners. I got a situation. I need your opinion.

car: 1993, mx6, v6, LS.
Situation: I sent my mazda to a performance shop to get some work done. The work to be done? Well, block 20 over,
racing clutch, new DOHC, valves, springs, throttle body,
intake, exaust, turbo. I mean everything. the only thing original in this puppy is the block and transmission. As you can imagine this is a very pretty penny spent. Along with this work is a nice set of Titanium rods and pistons that are being custom made. Its been almost a month and a half and they are saying it will be another 1-2 months before my rods and pistons are done. Does that seem right?
Has anyone else done this to an MX6?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i think personally professionals would have had the parts made before taking delivery of your car. So as to expedite your service. I mean if you went to work and told your boss oh its taking longer than expected cause i 'm waiting on stuff, how long do you think you'll have that job? Additionally why titanium? why not crower rods the time and expense saved justify the non-noticable increase in performance. And titanum rods? Are you building the space shuttle? how much more performance are they promising you? Is it worth not having a car? In the end its your decision.
Sounds promising though let us know how it ends up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i went to look at it yesterday. sure enough the pistons and rods were gone.

As for why titanium? well with the turbo charger and nos ability we were looking at a huge increase in pressure. im not sure if Ill ever turn on the nos but it will be there.

it is estamated to run at aprox. 450 hp at 6lbs boost. It is being built to take 12lbs boost plus nos bumping it up to some where near 550-700hp. Ill let you all know how it ends up.Also i still have 2 more cars and a bike to keep me moving. im just anxious to get it back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Custom made rods and pistons? Who does that? Aftermarket rods and pistons can be found for your car with no problem. I'd question their reasoning with a custom bottom end.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Custom built rods and pistons will take along time to make. Especially when they are building them out of titanium. I am a machinist at a plastic injection molding company (we are closet maids main supplier) but when we build stuff, we take are time, you don't want to mess up and start all over, otherwise we would lose customers left and right. but we do have deadlines. we are usually always late. but are molds and are top of the line. so i would just be patient and i am sure u will be happy with what they give you, besides the long time without your mx6. i know the feeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
Thats very reassuring. I hope to have it soon but till then ill be patient. When it comes back ill send picks.
Next job will be the body kit and paint.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Also let me know who made the rods and pistons, if your satisfied, and thier phone number? We have the same boost prob. If custom works for you maybe it'll work well for me?
if not i might go with the stroker kit sold by thomas knight turbos ( he says it makes your bottom end bullit proof )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill be sure to let you know the final out come. The person doing the job all together is J&Y CUSTOMS. I took the car to them for the ideas, info, and work. Here is the catch. The owner of J&Y is a honda man and he works with honda dealers. I got all custom work but the one thing honda has to do with it is they are the ones doing my rods. Thats right. Honda engineers are tweekin my car. But im ok with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts