Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This kid in work is about to buy a new car, either an auto 626 or a caddy sts. He said in either case he could "wipe the floor with me", because my car is a "4 banger". I pretty much kept my mouth shut only because i don't know a hell of alot about either of two cars he talking about. I'm not too afraid of the 626, but he said the sts has close to 300 hp. I betting i could take him from a stop, because i have a standard, but am i gonna have enough to fight him off? Also he has about 250 pounds on me, I think that would give an advantage if he drove the 626, would i be wrong in saying that?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention i think he's talking about a 92-93 sts, the 626 i have no idea, my 6 is a 96. sorry about that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't think the 92-93 STS's had over 300 HP yet, although the new ones do. I'd say a 92-93 wouldn't be all that fast. My grandmother has a 91 caddy with the V8 and it's not too terribly quick. Unless they did a lot of tweaking between 91 and 92, then it shouldn't be too quick. Umm, I really don't know much about the 2nd gen 4 bangers, so, I couldn't say how fair a race it would be with either car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The STS with Northstar came out in '93 and has 295hp. The newer ones have 300hp. That engine is amazing! You will lose...by a lot. 0-60 in the '93 STS averages mid-6seconds. Its a Cadillac and I'm sure weighs well over 4000lbs, but it is quick and tops out over 150mph. My dad actually bought one new in '93 and my mom still drives it. I'm coming up on 21 years old and have only been behind the wheel 4 or 5 times. It is FAST. Roasts the tires easily on take-off for about as long as you're willing. I'm confident it would ruin my MX-6 LS in out-and-out acceleration. Well, maybe not ruin, but it would certainly win. I've never taken it past 130, so my 140mph (with 235/40/18) in the MX-6 is still my personal highest top speed.

Bottom line - race the STS because it'll be fun, but if its a 93+ w/Northstar, expect to lose.

BTW MattDogg - the STS is a V8.
Edit: Sorry, nevermind MattDogg. I see what you're saying now. 7-8sec 0-60 is fast for a 4cyl MX-6. Oops

[Edited by BOWDWN2MX6 on 04-17-2001 at 03:31 PM]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i'll see what happens, and which car he decides to go for. I would love to shut his punk ass up, I hope i get a chance. thanks for the info guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts