Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my MX6 in march and here's the list of things (maintenance and performace) i've done to it since:

AT 62,000 miles
FRONT STABILIZER LINKS REPLACED

AT 63,000 miles
TRANS DRAIN/FILL
BRAKE FLUSH
ENGINE FLUSH
FUEL INJECTION CLEAN
BRAKES
AIR FILTER
FUEL FILTER
OIL CHANGE
DRIVE BELTS

AT 64,000 miles
COLD AIR INTAKE
REAR STABILIZER LINKS

AT 65,000 miles
MAGNECOR SPARK WIRES AND NEW BOSCH PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS

AT 67,500 miles
OIL CHANGE

AT 68,000 miles
TIMING BELT
J-SPEC CAM
UNORTHODOX RACING UNDERDRIVE PULLEY
FRONT AND REAR TOWER STRUT BARS

AT 69,000 miles
OIL PRESSURE SWITCH REPLACED
FRONT STRUT BEARING PLATES REPLACED

Could you guys look over this and tell me if and what I'm missing and should be done maintenance wise? Thanks

G

·
personally I hate Botsch Spark Plugs.. they burn to fast. I had some for a very short time and they melted. Next time I would go with anything except those!

·
Registered
59 Posts
as far as a tune up goes...you missed the PCV valve...
distributer cap and rotor...and you might want to do a coolant flush too.

I also noticed you did your timing belt, your mechanic should've recommended replacing your water pump at this time as there is little or no extra labour involved and it is a bitch to do when it goes(have to remove timing belt), and it will go.

[Edited by dj petey on 10-13-2000 at 02:33 AM]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, yeah, i already did the coolant flush, and i didn't know about the water pump, why do you have to take off the timing belt to replace it? i'll get on the rest, thanks man

·
Registered
449 Posts
isn't the water pump run off the timing belt in these cars? I believe my first gen does.

·
Registered
283 Posts
do u feel a chang ein the pulleys is there more power and did u cahnge them yourselves and how much were them

·
Registered
488 Posts
You will probably want to change the valve cover gaskets, unless you don't have any oil in the plug wells. It's a common problem with the KL series engine. And while you are at it you should put a set of phenolic spacers in as well. The help keep the intake air temperature down for more power, always a good thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valve cover gasket was changed at the same time as timing belt. I had the pulley done at the same time as timing belt also, so they didn't charge me anything extra. About the pulley, since it doesn't change the power curve, you don't really feel change, but i know the car is faster when i race people i raced before there is a little bit of difference, but as i said, you probably won't feel anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The water pump is run off the timing belt so the labour for replacing the water pump is the same as doing the timing belt which is quite expensive. So as a preventative measure, some mechanics recommend replacing the pump at the same time as the timing belt, not necessary but cheaper in the end.

G

·
With that many miles, try some stuff called BG44K. It will cost about 20 bucks. You may have to look for it a little, but if I remember correctly NAPA auto parts carries it. It is the only fuel system cleaner I have ever seen that worked good. It will make your injectors like new. Also do some research on oil treatments that have special compounds in them that will sort of polish your cylinders. That will make your high rpm's come quicker, and be more smooth. See what increases an OBD chip will do. Try http://www.superchips.com or http://www.hypertech.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts