Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mx6.com has helped me out a lot in the past. This is for a SC-901 volvo head-unit. All of the speakers except one in the car are powered by a 4ch amp. Everything works fine for about 20-30 minutes. After that time, all of the speakers besides the one cut out and stop working. After that, those same speakers turn on and back off with about 3-5 minutes each way. Is it the amp going bad? Wiring off somewhere? or could the head-unit itself be not sending the signal to the amp? All help appreciated. Karma to those that help out the most.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmm its hard to to tell. Could be the headunit, wiring, or the amp. Since the one speaker still constantly works than I'd say it would probably be the amp. Only way to tell is to borrow another amp. That way if the new amp works than you know the problem was your amp. If not it would be your wiring. If the other speakers are powered by the amp; are the head unit and amp connected by an RCA cable? If so just check to see if it is worn or broken also. Have you checked to see if it is overheating or something? It could be a fuse or short in the power and ground wires. Best bet is to try a new amp and move from there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks, i'll see if i can get an amp from somewhere and try it. the amp & head unit are connected by a volvo specific cable, but i have an adapter to convert it to RCA, so i could try putting a universal amp in place of it. I can't tell if its overheating, no smell of burning or anything, but it did feel warm when i touched the amp. also all fuses are working, and the 30 minutes of working flawless is why i doubt its wiring, b/c with wiring it wouldn't work for that long, would it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ahh if it happens at exactly thirty minutes everytime I doubt it would be the wires. I don't think warm to the touch is anything to worry about. I meant was it getting really hot and going into protection. Like I said its either the head unit or amp. I'm doubting the problem is the speakers though. If Possible disconect the amp and run the speakers off the headunit. Then see what happens after thirty or so minutes.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Yeah whats happening is that your pushing the amp to go below what its safe working load is. As in trying to get it to run a 2 ohm set-up when its supposed to run a minimum 4 ohm set up (as an example). When that happens the amp wastes an enormous amount of power in the form of heat (hence the amp heating up significantly) and thus eventually going into protection mode. If the characteristics towards how long it takes for the amp to shut down, are continually the same its not the wiring thats doing that per se'. Mainly either a problem with the amp itself, or a problem with HOW its being wired.

Find out the specs on your amp, as in its minimum ohm requirements, and go through your system to see where you are wiring it wrong. Remember two 4 ohm subs/speakers wired in a parallel configuration creates a two ohm load. Same with two 2ohm speakers/subs creating a 1 ohm load.

Reactions: tchnprgrmr

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok' i'll see what i can find out. i know the amp is 4ch and 100w per channel. as far as i know the entire thing is stock. the hu doesn't have an internal amp, so all of my speakers are powered by this amp. also, both hu and amp are stock from the factory, nothing is aftermarket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts