Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to audio setup and equipments for the car I don't have any idea what I should be looking at when I buy them. I want two 12" subs, and an amp. I'm a student, so don't tell me about some $600 subs, just the best for the money. What kinda "specs" or numbers should I be looking at when I talk to the guy selling them. Thanks guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stereo Help

The main thing you want to look for is the watts your amp can deliver and the watts your subs can handle. Make sure to find out the watts in RMS because this is the level that your stuff will operate at. The Peak is just how high it can go, but not stay there. Also be sure that your subs can handle as much as or more than your amp can dish out because you could blow your subs. You will also need a box to put your subs in that will fit in your trunk. I ran into this problem with my mx6 because it has a big trunk, but a small opening, so measure the opening of your trunk and check the box size. You will also need an amp install kit to hook everything up. I recomend Monster Cable's kit because it has well insulated wires and a fuse. Let a car audio store do the install if you don't know that much or have a friend do it cause it can be quite difficult.

My recomendation for a good setup at a good price would be to go with MTX. They have good stuff at good prices. Try 2 12" MTX Road Thunder 4000 subs in a Q-Logic box, an MTX RT2200 amp, and a Moster Cable 2-Channel amp install kit.

Good luck! Email me if you have any other questions:cool:

G

·
0 Posts
Make sure whoever does it runs the RCA's on the other side of the car from the power wire... otherwise you will be pissed when you can hear your car rev thru your new subs....

G

·
0 Posts
oh... and find out what's in the kit... then buy it seperate... kits like that are for stupid people who like spending too much money stuff like 8 guage (4 guage if you like to waste money) wire should be like $20 bucks for the 15ish feet that you'll need... not $50. And you don't need hyper expensive gold plated twisted RCA cables... They'll say they help with interference... but that's what running the power wire downthe opposite side of the car does... And crimp connecters you can get anywhere ... if you don't need gold plated... btw... a fusable link should come with your amp... but the better looking ones will cost you... I've said my piece... now if you do it right... the money you'll save will help you along in getting a stiffening Capacitor, then your shit will hump.

·
Registered
59 Posts
good point stank...

yeah...ran my RCA by my power....and yup...can here the rev loud and clear....funny thing i never heard it on my Impulse and ran the RCA with the power too....since cables and wires too, cuz i ripped it out of the Impulse.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks guy.. I'll make sure I'll look for those things. Is there anything you would recommend other than MTX?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Depends on the music you like too...

You need to know what you music you like and how you like it to sound. Do you want the whole neighbourhood to hear you...or do you want it to sound good in the car?

In general if you like loud abnoxious bass...big woofers in bandpass boxes do the job (i've noticed people buying Audiobahn woofers for this type of application).

If you like tight accurate bass like me, you're better off with 2x10" in a sealed box. If you're going for 2x12", they're going to take up more room in your trunk.

The other thing that is often overlooked is the box construction. Ideally you should have the box design to the Thiele/Small parameters...many times people will say...here's a 10" so drop it in this box here that i have. However that seldom the correct and ideal box/size for the woofer. Assuming the place has the right size box, you should make sure it is of good quality materal and construction wise. Material you should make sure it made of 3/4" MDF or high quality plywood (birch). Construction wise, you should look for straight cuts, solid gluing, and no air leaks. Some cheap box, use silcone and/or nails to put together...that is VERY bad.

Ideally, you should make the box yourself or have a friend that is handy with wood to do so.

A

·
0 Posts
one word? SOUNDSTREAM

a few more words? SPL 15 Inch!

these baby's handle power! the last car i was running a pair with a kicker 1.2kw (and thast RMS) competion series running them.

mind you tho...i spent $3500 on the amp LOL

i must admit it was overkill but at a car show u stand out when people can't speak over it :)

as for my SPL? 158.9...not bad - not great - but is was in a sedan - doesn't help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts