Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i want to mount my amp in the trunk but i don' t want to fasten it to the carpet, or drill into the metal. does anyone have any ingenious mounting solutions? any pictures of mounted amps?

thanks,

·
Registered
40 Posts
I myself mounted the amps behind the rear seats. Nonetheless, my friend has a Probe and I made a custom amp box for him. He had to accomodate for 3 amps. The box pretty much went the width of the trunk (wheelwell to wheelwell); it was about 16" deep and some 5" high. I also installed his changer right on the middle of it as well. To make the box more aesthetic, I cut the corners on a 45' angle and installed 4 cooling fans (2 on each side) which could be bypassed by a switch. The reason for the cooling fans was due to the top cover that hid everything. The whole thing was carpeted. He actually placed his sub box (2 - 10" subs) right on top of the amps' box - it's pretty solid. I've always planned to one day place my amps on the rear corners of the car -- 1 amp per corner. I just haven't had the time to mess with it yet. Maybe one day!!!

Later,
Peter

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response, however i should have made my requirements a little more clear. i need to make maximal use of the trunk space therefore i can't mount the amp on the rear of the seats, nor will i have a sub box in there; so can't mount it there either.

cheers,

·
Registered
358 Posts
I mounted my sub amp in the rear corner of the trunk.
Here is a photo
I mounted the amp to a piece of carpeted MDF board, then I secured the board to the body with 2 metal brackets. One bracket is at the front side of the board and is bolted onto an existing hole in the sheetmetal. The other bracket is at the back of the board and bent to line up with the sheetmetal behind the rear tail light. I had to drill a small hole into the sheetmetal then secure that bracket with a sheet metal screw. This was a simple way to mount the amp and it fit nicely wedged into that rear corner. It is very secure and takes up very little trunk space.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mike, thanks for the info and the pic. i think this is the way i'll go! :cool:

cheers,

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Depending on how big the amp is you can mount it behind the lining of the boot in the rear corners.
That is depending on whether or not you have a 4WS computer in their{left side only}
I put a big one under the rear shelf, between the to factory speaker mounts, looks all right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts